DOT MATRIX

Guest 21st Century Tints
for looks, for solar control, to pizz us tinters off.....all reasons for the large dot area. The edge black is to shield the Urethane adhesives from the suns damaging light. Small dots on edge make for a "smooth" transition from solid to none. That is what I have heard at least.....

I will go with this.

This seams most probable.

the matrix on the front windshield reerview mirror serves as a heat protection so the glue for the mirrors dont soften up and the mirrror dont fall off.

:gasp

That may be what a glass guy told you, but that's just some doofus making up something as he was saying it.

If anything, making the glass black makes it get hotter, leading to more problems with glue failure, not less. They put the black on the windshields to hide the mirror bracket from view for cosmetic reasons.

Some vehicles have a dot matrix in the center of the windshield to shade the eyes of the people in the vehicle where the sun visors don't meet in the middle.

for looks, for solar control, to pizz us tinters off.....all reasons for the large dot area. The edge black is to shield the Urethane adhesives from the suns damaging light. Small dots on edge make for a "smooth" transition from solid to none. That is what I have heard at least.....

On point... Glass Mag article years back, slows that aging process of Urethane by inhibiting UV, less leaks down the line.

Guest Tintbds

Sounds good :gasp

omg the dots are to shade the headliner. ever notice the headliners on cars peeling off, dots help prevent this ,more shade without blocking the complete sun and visability. thats why most of them are gradually smaller til the window. the dots around the perimeter is to hide the waves of interior panels or deck trays. if its a solid line you can notice a small raise or uneveness in the plastic trim panels. and you can only put the dots in the glass if its laminated like windshields. some older mercedes and some of the newer S classes have all laminated glass; they also put the defrosters internally. some even have a layer of huper in it.

some brands of cars may make them a little larger to help protect rear passengers, but then why are there why are there dots on corvettes

Archived