Largest Commerical Job in my 20+ years DISASTER

I get the labor end of this nice job. Looks easy enough moneys great so im ready to go.

the job is 4 skylights made up of 24 panels ranging in size from Triangles 48" X 48" to 48" X 102" they want silver 20 (solargard)

img00023yr5.jpg

Problem 1 'The job must be done at night'

so 10pm to 5:30am it is

Problem 2 'the windows are 25' to 35' in the air'

im not into heights but ill get by

also rental of a scissor lift

Problem 3 'Its about 11 degrees out at night'

this is were the trouble starts

I go I spend the entire night installing scared to death at first so its slow going but as the night goes on and get more and more comfortable and I settle into a groove. I start to feel what I thought was extremely heavy contamination or dirt under to last 3 inches of the film upon closer inspection its ICE. so I hard card and push out snow and it seems to lay just fine and I continue. 5am comes I start packing up admire my work one last time and leave.

I go back the second night and to my horror 2 full sheets fell down and 3 others have large fingers and the others are all curling.

img00038tv5.jpg

I?m sure that everything looked perfect when I left at 5am and the supervisor says that at 2pm when she got in the pieces had already fallen

so what do I do? wait for warmer weather

is there antifreeze for tint? I used alcohol in the mix.

In the past ive used X100 when curling is a using but this is silver I think thats a no no

is this a solargard issue?

Help

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I had this problem once. What I found was that I had to trim the bottom of the glass just a bit higher to make sure that all the water/ice/snow was out and not melting and being sucked back up between the glass and tint. I dont like to see light gaps but in that instance...had to leave an almost 1/8" gap. It ended up not being noticable.

Guest vclimber

Well it definitely sounds like a lot of water is being left behind but depending on the type of film you can create more "tact" with x-100 on dry adheasives by adding more to your solution. But you have to make sure what type of film is being used too...

I prefer PS films for those installs. Stick-n-forgeddabout it. :thumb

Guest VOLTRON

Like climber said a PS adhesive would work best aswell as him mentioning the amount of water being left behind. If you have to go over the window twice to get as much water out as possible and be sure to bump the edges with a hardcard and towel or whatever you use. I am sure you already know this but just covering all bases. Sounds like you are using a dry adhesive, that is one problem right there.

Archived