Hiring a auto window tinter

The great thing about the plotter is that it is easy to learn to use and they never learn how to hand cut very well. If they ever decide to quit they can't just go work some where that doesn't have a plotter with out being taught how to hand cut.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The great thing about the plotter is that it is easy to learn to use and they never learn how to hand cut very well. If they ever decide to quit they can't just go work some where that doesn't have a plotter with out being taught how to hand cut.

Yep! Good strategy there!!!! I have a ad up now to hire a replacement for a tinter who is leaving the area but if I don?t get a good tinter in a few weeks I go to plan B. Plan B is to divide the grunt work up and give each tinter a helper. I?ve did this before and it works out great

I was hired to my first tinting job because I didn't have experience...just for that reason...they wanted me to learn their way and have no bad habits.

You'd also be risking that the person you are training from scratch wont like the work, or be able to learn it, whereas an experienced tinter knows it's what he wants to do and is able.

Tough call.

true that.

you train someone and you dont know if they will learn at all.

you hire someone with experience, it can be for the long run if you treat them right or just in for the short run.

it all depends on the person. in this business HONESTY is hard to get from a window tinter who knows the works. Honesty is something very few have with you. :beer

Guest Key West
I would go with experienced if I had to look for a hand you never know they could teach you somthing and spring is not far away man. How fast can you train I wouldnt pay for a tint job from a 2 month tinter :spit

took me 2 years to feel ok about taking money for my work

Pitchatent is right. When faced with the choice, I'd hire experience every time. Training someone ALWAYS means training your competition. How many of you plan on retiring at the shop you started out in? As we all know, "no compete" contracts are basically worthless, and pretty much unenforceable. Find someone who can do a good job consistently, and roll thru the busy times. And when the inevitable parting of the ways comes, it will hopefully have been a mutually beneficial experience!!! :rollin:spit

Guest VOLTRON

If you hire someone to train, like it is being said you can train them to your specifications but also it could result in training someone to be competition. It depends on the amount of work you have aswell. If you are at a point where you have more work then you can handle then it would be a wiser choice to go with experience but if you are slow and have the time you could train. Also if you are slow then money will be a little tighter and you will pay a trainee less then an experienced installer.

Archived