Picky customer

So we are doing this house full of windows $5k job and most of the windows are wood frame so we were using a trimming tool to trim the film. Well we slap about 200 sq. ft. up and the woman that owns the house comes up and raises immoratal hell about the light gaps. Now we are using nv35 and the film is cut perfect as per with a trimming tool maybe 1/16" and you have to kinda look sideways to even see a gap. Pretty much it's perfect as to guidelines as to how it is to be cut. So anyway she finally calms down some and we quit using the trimming too and hand cut another 100 sq. ft and it's so close to the frame you have to really look hard to see a gap at all (absolutely perfect now) and she's still bitching. It's to the point to where I don't think we're going to get paid. Film installation is a 9 out of 10 if you were going to score it. I don't know what were going to do, we were talking about caulking it but it is wood edge so a black silicone probably wouldn't look good. What would you guys do? :lol2 dat biatch

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest FilmBlazer

She must really be looking closely with a 35% film! Thank goodness I've never encountered a client like this. Sure some clients address the gap, but its not even noticeable with 35 and lighter unless you are really looking for it.

You will get paid. I would tell her how many square feet you hang per year and how many satisfied clients you have. Then proceed to tell her that every one of your installs fall well within IWFA standards :lol2 Then show her the standards.

I never checked these out online, but I am going to print these and put them in my folder!

http://www.iwfa.com/PreProduction_copy(1)/...al_quality.html

Guest darkdan

Explain it's necessary.

You need the gap to allow water out and if it's all the way to the edge then the expansion and contraction of the window can cause it to peel.

Then tell her to STFU.

Guest mischief

Who sold the job? You or a salesperson? What was said about how the windows would look?

If there was a salesperson involved, they need to be there to help reintroduce the customer to reality.

Why is she so upset? Generally when people freak out about nothing they are usually freaking out about something else. somewhere along the lines she lost her trust. why? anything you can do to reestablish her trust in you as the professional?

the edges aren't the problem. Find out what is and you'll be golden.

Guest FilmBlazer
Who sold the job? You or a salesperson? What was said about how the windows would look?

If there was a salesperson involved, they need to be there to help reintroduce the customer to reality.

Why is she so upset? Generally when people freak out about nothing they are usually freaking out about something else. somewhere along the lines she lost her trust. why? anything you can do to reestablish her trust in you as the professional?

Maybe she got ripped of on her awning that blew away :lol2

Dow comes in black, grey, and white. Maybe you can appease by using that.

I usually print off a IWFA spec sheet and give it to THOSE kind of ppl. We get them regularly here. Especially me being female ppl have a REAL hard time with that.

I usually say "ya know you are lucky you got me cause industry guidlines say I could leave a gap 2xs that size, fortunately for you I think it looks bad so I get as close as I can". :lol

If that don't work I take off my tool belt and say "here(hand customer my tool belt), if you think you can do better go for it! "(I HAVE DONE IT!!)

exactly. something it should of being discussed on what to expect of the job. :lol

Guest vclimber

Yeah I agree, salesperson has to address this stuff up front. The last thing you want to do is give the IWFA speech... you'll really tick her off. Customers don't care about the IWFA or industry standards, they just want the percieved problem to go away. It is your job to find a solution, not make an excuse. Sucks, but that is the way it goes. :lol

Archived