why did you guys choose tinting as a career?

Guest sytran666

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Braud Spectrum

Was working in the Air Conditioning Co. office which also owned the only tint shop in town at the time and mentioned that I'd hung wallpaper for home contractors previously. They asked me if I would like to hang commercial/res part time. Sent their best tinter to show me how to do one 5' X 12' window... then he says, "there ya go...now you're a tinter!" and he left! :thumb

I loved the part time job more than the office job and made more money by the Sq Ft to boot. When I quit the full time I also had to give up the part time so I went to the only other "new" tint shop and asked for work. He said he didn't need a commercial tinter and already had a car tinter. I told him I DON'T DO CARS...I'd attemped my own truck and it looked purdy good from ten feet away but I left my # just in case. Three months later he calls me all upset because he'd fired his auto tinter had a full day lined up and begged me to come tint for him. I reminded him that I didn't do cars. Neither did he... :mrgreen:

Those poor people.

He had a horrendous temper and never made it thru the summer. (stabbed rolls of film if fits of anger...real smart. :thumb shreadded a Mustang door panel all to pieces with his Olfa)Asked me if I wanted the shop. I did. I paid him for the yellow pages ad he's already submitted. Here I am 20 years later.

Guest thetintshop

started tinting when I was 14 in my dads body shop. did it all through high school and college. found out I could make more tinting than I could as a high school basketball coach. if I'd used all that money I shelled out for college on my business, it would be paid for by now.

everybody go back up and read smokymountains post. I feel the same way. some days I feel like just cashing in my chips and checking out. but I'm good at this job and I know I am, and I just don't want to walk away from it.

it's funny, since I've found this site, I haven't had those feelings as much and I really look forward to each day and the challenge that awaits. thanks TD :thumb

some days I feel like just cashing in my chips and checking out

I know what you mean, it's all I can do not to.

I got sucked back in to residential tinting today, tomorrow I have to go to Montecito again for some flatty, man I hate that s**t, I'd rather walk on hot coals than to be in one of those mosoleums.

Guest DontWorryItWillDry

Uhhh..it chose me.......to save customers from bad tinting experiences that would unjustly ruin a spurning industry. :thumb:thumb

Guest Spesh

I was 17 and asked for a part time job at my mates fathers tint shop after I graduated from school and before university started....was working as a car dismantler for the tinters, ie take off door trims, rear parcel shelves etc, but was only earning $5 an hour.......got to talking with the tinters and found out what they were on, and there you go, I was tinting cars, .......started on sides etc, then was shown rears .......by summer when I was 18 I was on huge money (cash in hand)......kept tinting but not as much through university.....I spent so much money that summer before Uni started, ......the $$$$$$$ got me hooked

Archived