why did you guys choose tinting as a career?

Guest sytran666

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Tint Wiz

I got in to tinting 14 years ago , family friend had flat glass business,I was a painter /decorator so had a job change and liked it ,then went into auto tinting 4 years ago and like it even more, we must be mad what we have to put up with :shoot1:shoot2

Guest Zrok

I went to work at a local ziebart shop as an accessory installer, remote starts, alarms, sunroofs, etc. and as part of my 'negotiating' deal, I told the boss man that I wanted to be sent to tint training. the reason was so that I could make some extra cash outside of work. I got pretty good after a couple years, and now after 5 years, I'm really wanting to open up my own shop (for real this time) but don't have the financial backing, so I'm gonna have to wait until next year I think. but the thing I love about it is the daily challenge. I mean, out of 5 monte carlos they'll all pose a different obstacle so that's what motivates me, I love the challenge. just my .02 :shoot2 oh yeah, and I love the beer. :shoot1:cool:bingo

Guest atypicaldave

Had an art teacher tell me I wouldn't be any good in art because I had too heavy a hand. Must have been from all that :shoot1 I was good at.

Stumbled into it as a subject for speech class --- after a few heavy-handed back glass cuts and a few bucks in the hole, I plunged in head first.

Guest Rama

In '89 I went to a tint shop to buy some tint to tint my own truck. The owner told me to bring it back after I was done with it, if he liked the job he'd consider hiring me. Worked for him for 1 summer, couldn't handle him, so quit that fall. Got married, had kids, hated my job. In '93 I opened my own shop with a box of film and some tools. I wasn't that great and worked out of junky locations, due to no money. Took several years to get to the point where I could live off it, without working other jobs on the side. I love working for myself, I think its awesome I can make $60K+ a year with no college education. My kids can go to work with me if need be, and except for all the tough stuff in this business, my life is pretty darn good, thanks to tinting.

Originally I had a detailing shop and one day a customer told me he wanted to have his car tinted. Found a company to do it for me and eventually hired an installer. That guy lasted for about two months. One day he didn't show up for work and I was stuck with a full day's worth of work. So I grabbed the knife, and my first vehicle was a Corvette. Took me six hours and on hell of alot of cussing. The car came back a couple of weeks later with a peeling door. If I remember right, I did the back in ten strips. After about four months of stress and my wife describing how the baseball bat would be placed on my forehead if I didn't stop doing this, I got pretty good. Twelve years later we had a few stores, 17 dealerships, and got alot of flat moving.

Sigh, those good old days

Guest expertint

The medical malpractice insurance was too high at my neurology clinic and since I knew how to cut with sharp knives this trade came naturally. :confused

Archived