Why are there Flame marks in my ceramic tint?

Guest dunnojack

Guest willie
one more question.

Do you HAVE TO heat shrink the bottom of the window?

Can't they apply the tint at the bottom without the heat?

Some tinters can and some tinters cant. Some tinters do and some tinters dont.

The bottoms do not have to be heated but sometimes it makes it a little easier to lay down.

I am sure whoever did this after seeing it will be glad to fix it.

Good luck :lol2

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Key West
I have never seen anything like it. :thumb I'll keep up on this because now I'm curious. Looks like it has to do with the shrink method used on the film. Just have never seen THAT many or type and after the fact seven days later. ??????? :thumb ??????????

I see it quite a bit!!!

456C1FA800009DF900005AD522007623029.jpg

456C1FF200043E2600005D1222007623029.jpg

I believe that it's from "Over-heating" the film. Look at dudes pics. They are right where you would shrink fingers, and are the general shape of fingers. WHERE ELSE cold they have come from? Look at the pics I posted. The effect is right where one would normally use extra heat on the back glass. And it DOESN'T go away. The film in my pics is Huper ceramic. Huper states that they are NOT AWARE of this phenomena, and have had no complaints prior to mine. (Sound familiar? :thumb )

I don't think the ceramics tolerate heat very well. It's great film, but has its quirks, and limitations... :lol2

And I have NEVER had this effect with metallized films. I've heard about it, but never personally had it.

Guest Key West
Some tinters can and some tinters cant. Some tinters do and some tinters dont.

The bottoms do not have to be heated but sometimes it makes it a little easier to lay down.

I am sure whoever did this after seeing it will be glad to fix it.

Good luck :thumb

WHATCHU TALKIN' 'BOUT WILLIE!!! I always shrink the fingers at the bottom if possible. Beetles, 3000gt's, I shrink top and bottom, but for the MOST part, I shrink the bottoms. THAT is where the discoloration is occurring. Wherever the heat is used.

Guest haroldshouseoftint

That is the problem with "Ceramic" just being thrown out onto the market with no training anyone who has enough to buy a roll can buy it.

If you don't know how to shrink it, you WILL have every car you do come back with issues.

At least Huper and Madico did it right with their "buy in" to the program, that way you don't flood the market, and only the "better" installers/shops are going to have it, because not everyone wants to lay out the ducketts to get into the program. :thumb

this is just my :thumb but mark my words, Johnsons will ruin the ceramic market with how they are selling their ceramic line and this is the results they are getting with whom they are selling it to.

Guest Key West
That is the problem with "Ceramic" just being thrown out onto the market with no training anyone who has enough to buy a roll can buy it.

If you don't know how to shrink it, you WILL have every car you do come back with issues.

At least Huper and Madico did it right with their "buy in" to the program, that way you don't flood the market, and only the "better" installers/shops are going to have it, because not everyone wants to lay out the ducketts to get into the program. :thumb

this is just my :lol2 but mark my words, Johnsons will ruin the ceramic market with how they are selling their ceramic line and this is the results they are getting with whom they are selling it to.

It's not the installer. The MFGR needs to put a "Notice to Installers" type flyer in the box explaining that too much heat will cause this to happen. That way, we as installers could compensate for it and move on..............OH! Wait a minute...........that would mean admitting the film really isn't suitable for auto applications :thumb:thumb When I buy film, I trust that "everyday" install techniques will work. If I see a warning notice in the box, I read it and would THEN know to use less heat. Kinda like if a MFGR came out with a great new film, but it shrank OPPOSITE of what you are used to. If they didn't tell you, you'd naturally use your normal install methods, and ruin a buttload of film before you figured it out! No "Buy-in" program is gonna save the ceramic market, but honesty and forthrightness from MFGRs will!

Guest willie
WHATCHU TALKIN' 'BOUT WILLIE!!! I always shrink the fingers at the bottom if possible. Beetles, 3000gt's, I shrink top and bottom, but for the MOST part, I shrink the bottoms. THAT is where the discoloration is occurring. Wherever the heat is used.

I do not heat door glasses. I have had this discussion on here several times. sometimes its makes it a bigger pain, but its something I just dont do. Since those stealths came out before I knew how to heat shrink I prefer my method over heat. Asdk solarspot Ive senn him stand there and wonder what the hell Im doing and not heating it.

Like it said. Some do and some dont, its just a preference :thumb

Guest Key West
I do not heat door glasses. I have had this discussion on here several times. sometimes its makes it a bigger pain, but its something I just dont do. Since those stealths came out before I knew how to heat shrink I prefer my method over heat. Asdk solarspot Ive senn him stand there and wonder what the hell Im doing and not heating it.

This I gotta hear. PM me with a link, or an explanation, ok? What do you do....Think warm thoughts for fingers to go away? :thumb:thumb:lol2

Guest thatsnappyguy

do u at least arch it at all??? theres no way I could get a vette door done with out shrinking it.

Guest willie

anchor the middle...... the pull and stretch

You guys gotta remember I'm in the dairy and cowboy capitol of the world.

I dont see the cars that you guys see. Theres only chevy, ford and dodge dealerships near me nothing else

I'm not saying I never would, I'm saying Ive never had the need for it so far.

Seen one vette in my shop since 89 here, and probably about 3 bugs. I did a kajillin stealths when they came out but thats about it.

Sorry guys no dmc here its just a matter of not needing to :thumb

Archived