Got some questions for you guys

Hi guys. I have thought about getting into PPF installations in the past, being a window tinting company but never made the move to take it on.

I had a friend of mine come to me today with his Lotus Elise and some pre cut PPF from 3M for his rear wheel arches.

They were supposed to be pre cut to fit but were miles away so with some marking a trimming we got a good fit and they went on pretty easy. He was very happy.

I'm seriously thinking of getting into it full time but have a few questions.

We applied this 3M film with just a soapy water, are all films like that these days because we saw a demo day about 3 years ago where it was being applied with some sort of alcohol based solution but that was Clearshild film?

How hard is the film to form, shrink, mould on big sections and how do you do it? ie heat gun, before/after squeegeeing?

What films are the best and for what reasons?

Is it a lot cheaper to but a roll and cut the patterns yourself than buy pre cut patterns and how do you actually cut your own patterns?

Any other helpful hints or tips would be much appreciated.

Thanks, Jon. :twocents

Guest darkdan

You don't shrink it, you stretch it.

No heat guns. A steamer can be used to warm it up for more stretching.

25% alcohol and 75% water is what I use.

"Best"?......

Cheaper to hand cut. More efficient/faster for some to use pre-cuts or buy a plotter.

I hand cut. No pattern, I slap it on and cut it.

Get some hands-on professional training!

Hi guys. I have thought about getting into PPF installations in the past, being a window tinting company but never made the move to take it on.

I had a friend of mine come to me today with his Lotus Elise and some pre cut PPF from 3M for his rear wheel arches.

They were supposed to be pre cut to fit but were miles away so with some marking a trimming we got a good fit and they went on pretty easy. He was very happy.

I'm seriously thinking of getting into it full time but have a few questions.

We applied this 3M film with just a soapy water, are all films like that these days because we saw a demo day about 3 years ago where it was being applied with some sort of alcohol based solution but that was Clearshild film?

How hard is the film to form, shrink, mould on big sections and how do you do it? ie heat gun, before/after squeegeeing?

What films are the best and for what reasons?

Is it a lot cheaper to but a roll and cut the patterns yourself than buy pre cut patterns and how do you actually cut your own patterns?

Any other helpful hints or tips would be much appreciated.

Thanks, Jon. :gasp

:gasp RUUUUNNN!!!! Sure, it looks like easy $$ cuz you can charge out the azz, but those patterns almost always suck ( I don't care who cut it), and a couple of wheel wells is a lot different than an entire front end of a vehicle-if you just tint for a living. As for solutions, most use a combination of soap/water for slip and alcohol/water for fast tack. It's hard to explain, but :lol2 it's easier and harder. All I can say is, if you're making enough to hire someone with experience, go for it. :lol2 . Otherwise, take plenty of time to train, lest you send half azz work on the road with your company name on it all because you backed yourself into the situation cuz you nailed a couple of wheel wells. :lol2

Archived