Sales Presentation!!!

Hey everyone, I am wondering if any of you have ever recorded your sales presentation, I am really starting to do more and more commercial/residential, but I have no clue how to give an effective sales presentation. I am really trying to be more proffesional and learn all there is to know about our industry, so your help in this matter would be greatly appreciated. I understand most of the various types of glass, and films, but for example I don't understand about low E glass, or why we would want dual reflective films, for starters. I have also never seen a quality demonstration on the benifits of window film. How can I possibly sell my product or service without an effective sales pitch? I am ready to start buying things like the DST and BTU meter, and so on but I just don't want something that will lay around. If no videos are available,are there any other good training sources besides going to tint schools???? Thanks

Guest Key West
Hey everyone, I am wondering if any of you have ever recorded your sales presentation, I am really starting to do more and more commercial/residential, but I have no clue how to give an effective sales presentation. I am really trying to be more proffesional and learn all there is to know about our industry, so your help in this matter would be greatly appreciated. I understand most of the various types of glass, and films, but for example I don't understand about low E glass, or why we would want dual reflective films, for starters. I have also never seen a quality demonstration on the benifits of window film. How can I possibly sell my product or service without an effective sales pitch? I am ready to start buying things like the DST and BTU meter, and so on but I just don't want something that will lay around. If no videos are available,are there any other good training sources besides going to tint schools???? Thanks

LEARN, grasshopper. You really do need to know what the TSA, TSER, Shading coefficent, etc are and mean. Probably never use that knowledge, but getting caught flat footed when asked really sux!!! AND theres a better than average chance your competition doesn't know that info. You'll come off looking more informed.

Your average customer (Resi) only knows that you are slapping a piece of somewhat darker plastic on thier windows. They have no Idea why the film rejects heat, U/V, etc. To them it's just a piece of plastic. Bring an 8 x 10 diagram of film construction with you. If the custy understands that it (film) is not "just a piece of plastic", but a composite of space age materials, from the beginning it will reduce sticker shock at the end considerably.I use an analogy of the face shield on an astronauts helmet. "See how it looks Gold? That REALLY is a transparent layer of gold and other metals that reject radiation. Heat is radiation, and thats what is in this film." They are now not just buying a "Piece of plastic", but a product born of the space program. Now they can begin to justify the price in thier heads. Give the Custy a BASIC knowledge of what film is, But be prepared for more technical questions.

One of the biggest mistakes is to give the custy "Information Overload". BTU meters are all well and good, but when you describe BTUs per Sq/Ft per hour, and how that translates into a reduced load on the HVAC system, more often than not you'll be getting the "deer in the headlights" look. I use a digital thermometer. Take the temp of the floor in an area blasted by the sun. Put up a piece or two of your film to cover that area. Then go into your presentation. After a while, go back and say something like "Lets see how well this works". Re-take the temp of the floor after it has been covered by film. There should be between a 15 or 20 degree difference. Most custys don't know a BTU from an STD, but DEGREES FAHRENHEIT they understand!!!

I look for the thermostat in the home. Is it getting blasted by the sun? This alone can cause the A/C to run alot more. Explain the causes of fading. Explain also the while direct sunlight is damaging, so is REFLECTED light. They may not think they need to do some windows, when in reality, they do.

Bottom line is give the custy a BASIC knowledge of film and how it works with out getting too technical. But be prepared for that 1 in 10 who is technically oriented!!

Hope this helps!!! :thumb:beer

Bottom line is give the custy a BASIC knowledge of film and how it works with out getting too technical.

Agreed 110%. Most customers won't be interested in film as much as we are, so you don't really need to go into it super detailed, unless they ask. Some people, mostly men, will want to know the whole 9 on what the film is made of and how it does this and that... but they are few and far in between.

If you know any local tinters, see if you can go along with them when they do a sales call. You can check out some books on selling and apply as you can. While there aren't any books that I know of on selling tint, there are general suggestions on how to phrase things that make a product more appealing to a customer. ie - Always talking about the product as an investment rather then an expense. Which fits nice with film cause the benefits are there - reduced fading, lower ac bills, etc.

It will come to ya.. the more you do it - the more you see what the customers ask and can tailor your presentation around the information they are looking for in order to make a buying decision.

-R

Guest tallscott

Above all else, custys want to feel confident in you being able to know what your doing and can trust you!! That makes price not as important! Thus, some people charge more and get it!! :thumb Key is right on!!

I agree 100% on what Key West & Roach recommended.

Plus:

If you are working on larger commercial project and talking to a building manager/engineer; then you'll have to take your knowledge up a bit. First things I recommend learning are the terms found on all your spec sheets. Definitions can be found on most mfg. websites such as the following:

http://www.globalwindowfilms.com/terminology.htm

I would also learn the following:

-What is your local cost of energy? (Example: $.09/kWh in FL & MO; $.135 in Houston). More savings in Houston with expensive energy.

-Tell your commercial prospects that window film saves energy during the "peak period" 10am-4pm when energy is most expensive (for large energy consumers)

-Run through a couple of energy calculations based on your local climate.

-Buy the IWFA Flat Glass Guide and/or Advanced Solar Control Guide. There is a wealth of information there. 90% of your customers might not be interested in the technical stuff (like Key West said, "Deer in Headlights"), but you will be more secure in front of building managers

-Experience, experience, experience. The more presentations you do, the more comfortable and knowledgeable you get. And if you can find an experienced dealer to run through it with you, better.

As Key West recommended, the digital thermometer is a great tool.

Good luck.

Guest Key West
all customers want is the cheapest price :hmmm:beer

Is THAT why you're all the time bidding $2.49 a square? Just so you'll be sure and get the job? :hmmm:thumb:beer:thumb

Thanks for all the info, I am learning a lot as you all said, from experience. But if I don't understand how something works, how the hell can I explain it to my customer :evilgrin . I just don't want to get caught up with that Mr. 1 in 10, that knows more about my industry than I do. Thanks again, I never though of using the digital thermomitor, that is a great :lol idea. Keep it simple, great advice also!!!

Archived