How and how much to pay a good tinter?

Guest beenalongtime

Guest Key West
That's a heckuva thing to say. :thumb:thumb

I'm unemployed right now because two morons bought a thriving tint business and ran it into the ground. :thumb

I wasn't speaking in absolutes. You are probably (I don't know you, so I can't say.) an exception. There are good tinters, and then there are reliable tinters. There are also GOOD, RELIABLE tinters. Scarce as hens teeth, and worth thier weight in gold.

GENERALLY, there is a reason that a good tinter is unemployed. Such as in your case. But usually a good tinter thats unemployed has "issues". Either they are Prima Donnas, and don't play well with others, or have substance abuse or other reliability issues. You can do immaculate work 100% of the time you are at work, but if I can't rely on you to show up for work, you are worthless to me. How can one schedule work if one cannot be absolutely certain that an employee will be there to do said work? Many times I have scheduled a full day for 2 tinters, only to be the only tinter that showed up. THAT, my friend, really blows!!!

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest SIR TINTSALOT

my guys get a guaranteed salary too in the slower months, if they are there and work. If they just sit on their ass and watch tv then they don't get nada!! The way the salary works is I keep tabs on all the piece work they do and if at the end of the week it doesn't meet the salary rate, I'll still give them our agreed upon rate. If they go over the salary rate than they made more and so did I. As for not being able to make money by paying them that way, I feel it's fair for both of us because of the going rate in our area. Also I also tint, and when you got yourself and a few guys tinting at the same time, how am I not making money? Tight wad bosses like you suck bro!

A good reliable tinter should always make 900 or more a week . most of the shops around our region pay 30 to 40%. or a flat rate per car.Most of the tinters I know that are quality make 45k or more a year workin for a shop and more if they own it. problem is now alot of shops dont see tinting as a skilled profession because they have a plotter and think anyone can stick tint. Yep any one can stick it but it takes a real skilled professional to make it look great and not have returns

Guest TINTING AZ
Been in business 15 years never paid a tinter commission. You cant make good money paying 35% commission. I have an experience tinter pay him a salary and he can work 6 days a week if he wants . He makes about $6oo after taxes a week . He is guarenteed 40 hrs eventhrough the winter rain or shine . Then I hire 2 others at $8 hr to clean install side windows and cut tint on the plotter . My labour cost comes out about 25% . I supervise also so it sort of have to be in the shop when it is busy. The problem with commision tinters is they make $1000/mnth in the 3 months of summer and they bitch the other 10 months of the year they are under paid. With my guys you do everything answer phones, help customers clean up the shop .

damm talk about a sheister let me talk to your tinters n tell them to move to arizona theyll make way more geese

the Donald says (your fired)you are totally :dunno them

Guest TINTING AZ
my guys get a guaranteed salary too in the slower months, if they are there and work. If they just sit on their ass and watch tv then they don't get nada!! The way the salary works is I keep tabs on all the piece work they do and if at the end of the week it doesn't meet the salary rate, I'll still give them our agreed upon rate. If they go over the salary rate than they made more and so did I. As for not being able to make money by paying them that way, I feel it's fair for both of us because of the going rate in our area. Also I also tint, and when you got yourself and a few guys tinting at the same time, how am I not making money? Tight wad bosses like you suck bro!

:thumb:dunno

On 8/11/2007 at 10:28 PM, Key West said:

Not much has REALLY changed in the shop mgmt. end. Pay them commission, use good film, and realize that EVERYBODY has a bad batch now and again, LLumar is pretty consistent in quality, Most everyone else has changed formulas, tried to re-invent the wheel, and it's come back to bite 'em. Alot of NEW film companies have cropped up, and IMHO they don't have the track record of longevity some of the older players have. Of course some of the old reliable players are no longer reliable, just old!

My guys (Back when I had a crew) were making between between 55 and 70 per car at 30% commission. If you can tint, stay with you doing the tint until the business gets to the point that you can't handle the work flow by yourself. Hiring a GOOD, reliable tinter is next to impossible. There are reasons that a good tinter is unemployed.

A plotter is only good for one thing IMHO. Selling pre-cut kits to those who would otherwise walk over price. I have started selling them. Let 'em try it for themselves. Most of the time they come back with thier tail between thier legs.

As far as good brands now, LLumar is good, SunTek, SunGard, Hanita, are all good car films as well.

Oh yeah............ :beer to the board. Stick around, It gets REALLY interesting 'round here!

"Hiring a GOOD, reliable tinter is next to impossible. There are reasons that a good tinter is unemployed." Can you explain this?

8 hours ago, q_man said:

"Hiring a GOOD, reliable tinter is next to impossible. There are reasons that a good tinter is unemployed." Can you explain this?

There are more bad, unreliable tinters then good.

If a 'good' tinter is unemployed, it's because they have issues... drama... drugs... etc.

:zombie

Archived