still need help, 3000gt hatch, a few more questions

Guest fastfalcon94

Guest fastfalcon94

I've tried tinting it many times. If anyone has tinted it before could you please give me a step by step walkthrough on how your shrink the tint? I've only managed to shrink it perfectly once and I can't seem to replicate it. I've tried to work each individual finger all the way up then move on to the next finger. I've tried going back and forth horizontally. Usually what ends up happening is that I'll end up with a corner that refuses to shrink anymore. Then in my efforts of heating it I'll get it hot enough to crease the film. Then it leaves a little whitish mark and I can't get the tint to lay down flat around it. Whats the best strategy for this window? Am I missing something? Where should I start to shrink from? The middle? The corner? Some people said they preshrink it first, how exactly would you do this? Thanks for the help. Has anyone seen any online videos of a 3000gt being shrunk? - Charlie

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oddly (or maybe not), all videos I've seen are of people doing easy cars. :evilgrin Actually, there is one floating around of someone (Olfa?) doing an overseas car that's supposed to be quite difficult. Renault Clie or somthing. I think that was a wet shrink. Might try searching you-tube and the like. Anyway, I admire your persistance bro. :dunno

Guest Reflexxions

I would use the Mdizzle dry soap method . Put your soap on the glass and let it dry to a haze . Lay your film on the glass and look where the film is laying on the glass the flat-est . Take your hard card and tack it down in the center where its laying down the most . Take your free hand and in front of your hard card pull the film tight as you move your hard card to the left all the way to the left side then go back to center and do the same to the right side . Get all your fingers straight up and down on top and bottom . Then start in the center, start shrinking bottom across to left or right while laying the film down with your gloved hand and then hard card down . Then go the other way on the bottom the same way . Don't tack your sides down until you get close to them . Make sure your film is floating on the glass while your shrinking your fingers .

When you get to the top corners go slow with your gun back away from your film more and don't get the film too hot . If you think the film is getting to hot move to the other corner to let the film cool down . You might need to put some water under your film on the corners to help cool it and shrink it the rest of the way .

I wonder who will be to blame when something gets damaged :err Will it be the DIY guy or the tinters who are trying to explain over the internet how to use a heat gun to shrink the film :lol2:lol2

Archived