water beading windows

what do you guys do when you get a car that has rain x or the like on the inside of the glass, and as soon as you spray it the soapy water beads off.

do you guys just add more soap to your water of do you use something to scrub and break it down off the window, I always wondered of this stuff on the windows had something to do with adhesive failure. I just add more soap and position my film quickly before it sticks.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest atypicaldave

I usually increase my slip agent, too and use a phosphoric acid (like Dirt Off, Dot Devil, Dot Mate) based solution for prepping the glass prior to installing.

Guest thetintshop

I kept having cars come in with the windows beadin up like crazy. all makes, all models, all years. finally I kept up with where the cars were coming from. every car came from one used car dealer in huntsville, one in crockett, and one in conroe. I called each of the dealerships and talked to whoever was cleaning the cars. they all use the exact same window cleaner, from the same distibutor. it's called RTU. (ready-to-use) it comes in a 5 gallon bucket, and costs like $9. CHEAP s**t, typical used car dealers. I told each of them that I was sick and tired of tinting these cars with that s**t all over the windows. because nothing will take it off, I've tried everything, gas, thinner, dot devil, alcohol, ammonia, acetone, ect. I told them if I had anymore problems I was going to start sending them the bill for the pieces I messed up. the guy in conroe hung up on me, the guy in huntsville said he would look for another cleaner, and the guy in crockett started using a different cleaner and apologized like crazy and said thanks for letting him know. (shocked the s**t out me, I expected 3 "go to hells")

all you can do is add more slip agent and tell the customer it's not your fault it has dirt, isn't lined up straight, takes longer to dry, ect.

I kept having cars come in with the windows beadin up like crazy. all makes, all models, all years. finally I kept up with where the cars were coming from. every car came from one used car dealer in huntsville, one in crockett, and one in conroe. I called each of the dealerships and talked to whoever was cleaning the cars. they all use the exact same window cleaner, from the same distibutor. it's called RTU. (ready-to-use) it comes in a 5 gallon bucket, and costs like $9. CHEAP shiznet, typical used car dealers. I told each of them that I was sick and tired of tinting these cars with that shiznet all over the windows. because nothing will take it off, I've tried everything, gas, thinner, dot devil, alcohol, ammonia, acetone, ect. I told them if I had anymore problems I was going to start sending them the bill for the pieces I messed up. the guy in conroe hung up on me, the guy in huntsville said he would look for another cleaner, and the guy in crockett started using a different cleaner and apologized like crazy and said thanks for letting him know. (shocked the shiznet out me, I expected 3 "go to hells") 

all you can do is add more slip agent and tell the customer it's not your fault it has dirt, isn't lined up straight, takes longer to dry, ect.

this is what I`m talking about.......this crap is on all kinds of cars even used like he said, I hate this stuff.

Guest thetintshop

there's some detail shops that use it too. if the car isn't used, ask where they have it detailed. $10 says they'll be using RTU

Guest SQUEEGEE

I just clean the window twice with a white scrubby followed by a razor then squeegee.

Happens on cars where Rain or Fog X is used on the inside. HAd a guy actually tell me he waxed the inside of his windows.

Just a little extra scrubbing seemed to work okay but I have no idea about long term problems.

Guest metint

I have seen beading on some of the new lexus vehicles and was told it is some antifog coating. have also seen it on other glass, could be from the weatherstripping always rubbing on the glass, leaving some kind of residue behind?

Archived