that dad gum matrix

another corvette guy with matrix problems :lol

tinter gave him a squeege and told him to go over it himself after a few days :lol6

Search 

C5 Tech/Performance

C5 General Discussion

C5 Scan and Tune

C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous

C5s For Sale/Wanted

C5 Parts For Sale/Wanted

Z06 Corvettes

Tires

New Products

Corvette Accessories

Diecast Cars

Books & Manuals

Corvette Art

C5 GPs & Sales

C5 Items

CorvetteforumC5 General DiscussionWindow tinted and Frustrated!     

TheBigDog

67 posts [100%]

Chillicothe Ohio

Window tinted and Frustrated! 6:19 PM 5/31/2003   

I had my windows tinted two weeks ago...side windows look good the back is another issue. I even took the car back and had them redo the rear window and the !@#$ still looks the same almost identical. The guy that did the install said it was because of the dot pattern and the distance between the dotes in the center(coupe). At the top about 12" from center line both sides and a half moon shape refuses to lay down. He gave me a squeege to work on it but it looks useless. I am almost to the point of having it removed totally, but it looks so good I want to have it done correctly. Any recomendations or an installer for Lumar window tint in the Columbus Ohio area?

Thanks,

The Big Dog 

NotaZ06

280 posts [100%]

Dallas Georgia

Re: Window tinted and Frustrated! (TheBigDog) 6:34 PM 5/31/2003   

My friend with a coupe had his windows tinted perfect. So I would find a different shop. 

Grumpy

Elite Member

47617 posts [100%]

Joe is wrong... 

Re: Window tinted and Frustrated! (NotaZ06) 6:38 PM 5/31/2003   

quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My friend with a coupe had his windows tinted perfect. So I would find a different shop. 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

mine took a week for all the "bumps" to disappear...

racer44

Cruise-In III Veteran

4625 posts [90%]

Calgary, Alberta, Great White North

Re: Window tinted and Frustrated! (Grumpy) 6:45 PM 5/31/2003   

I had the same problem with my installer, the dots looked like crap. I took an xacto knife and cut along were the dots end and took that piece of tint out and then painted the inside of the rear window black where the crappy tinting was. I was concerned that painting this area black would hinder the ability to see out when looking out my rear view mirror. It didn't, that part of the window isn't used. The look now looks better than perfect. Everybody I have showed didn't even know it was painted, they all thought it was just one hell of a nice tint job.   

Glennm27

3492 posts [100%]

Lets Go SIXERS Phila

Re: Window tinted and Frustrated! (TheBigDog) 6:55 PM 5/31/2003   

I have ye to see a C5 coupe rear glass tinted correctly (or at least good enough to pass my personal inspection) I'd love to have mine done but have yet ( in 3 years looking) seen one done good enough or found anone that says they can do it. The Dot Matrix on the upper center is the problem as you mentioned. The best thing I've heard is to sand them way down before you lay the film. The concave glass doesn't help this situation either, just to tell ya. 

Y2Kvert4me

1786 posts [100%]

Pewaukee WI

Re: Window tinted and Frustrated! (TheBigDog) 7:01 PM 5/31/2003   

You can get it to stick down, but it will take time. My rear window had the same huge area at the top not sticking when it got done. It is very common if no special preperation of the dots is done before the tint is applied. It's not really the tinter's fault, it's the window's fault. The best tactic is to sand the dots down a little prior to the film going on, or to use a solid pc of black vinyl over the dot area. You can certainly pay someone else to retint the rear, but unless you specifically tell them to prepare the dots, or use the vinyl, the initial result you are experiencing now will be the same no matter who does it. 

With some patience and a little work, you can get it to come out.

Here is what you do to fix it:

Wait at least 2 weeks to insure all of the moisture is out of the film.

Park the car in the sun as much as possible during this time to facilitate it drying out.

After this time, one day after leaving the back window soak in the hot sun go out there with a soft cloth, and working from the bottom (of the unstuck area)towards the top of the glass, wrap the clotch around your thumb or finger and press it to the glass. Don't "wipe" or drag your finger, just press. You will get an area the size of your finger to stick. Move up a little, and press again. Keep working in this fashion in a small area, bottom to top, outside towards the middle. You won't be able to do it all at once. If you try to do it all, areas you just got to stick will peel right up as you keep working it. So get maybe half of it out, leave it, and try to get the rest on another sunny day a few days later. The longer the (freshly stuck) tint is bonded to the glass, the less likely it will be to unstick when you try to press down the adjacent areas. This is why you probably won't be able to get it out all at once.

stuart

2493 posts [100%]

Oviedo FL

Re: Window tinted and Frustrated! (TheBigDog) 8:07 PM 5/31/2003   

It does take time...and in time mine stuck.

...Im a little surprised that installer didnt tell you that it was possible and bubbles should disappear... 

BHulsey

65 posts [100%]

Charleston SC

Re: Window tinted and Frustrated! (stuart) 8:15 PM 5/31/2003   

TheBigDog

67 posts [100%]

Chillicothe Ohio

Re: Window tinted and Frustrated! (stuart) 8:21 PM 5/31/2003   

The guy told me that it would be ok and to bring the car back and he would lay down the rest of the dots, Guess he didnt know what he was doing. I am going to work on the dots in about two weeks after they dry and see how things go. Thanks for the comments

The Big Dog

white99ht2

79 posts [100%]

Austin TX

Re: Window tinted and Frustrated! (TheBigDog) 11:19 PM 5/31/2003   

Mine came tinted from the dealer. Same problem with the dots.

Now ya'll have given me something to try. I'd do just about anything to get them out.

How hard was it for them to remove the original tint? Did they do any damage the the rear defroster? 

FL1BY

Cruise-In IV Veteran

101 posts [100%]

Newport News Va

Re: Window tinted and Frustrated! (TheBigDog) 11:20 PM 5/31/2003   

An Idea... Remove the rear glass... Tint to desired darkness, dry, cure, re-intsall, and be happy....  Or just enjoy the auto darking rear view mirror 

lyerton

109 posts [100%]

Gilbert Az

Re: Window tinted and Frustrated! (Grumpy) 11:50 PM 5/31/2003   

Find a new shop. Mine was done in a one piece and never had any bubbles. 

Good Luck! 

stuart

2493 posts [100%]

Oviedo FL

Re: Window tinted and Frustrated! (lyerton) 1:30 AM 6/1/2003   

The One Peive tint is the next one I am going for...

...can you tell us who makes it? 

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply
have ye to see a C5 coupe rear glass tinted correctly (or at least good enough to pass my personal inspection) I'd love to have mine done but have yet ( in 3 years looking) seen one done good enough

:lol6

Guest thetintshop

what the f**k is up with corvette owners?? does having a vette mean "you've made it"?? it's still a f*****g CHEVY POS.

I always assumed a guy in a vette had a small pen!s. guess that's why I don't own one!!

:dance

little dick syndrome :lol

yup, it's just a dang chevy :lol I see this conversation all the time in my referal logs, usually someone will post a link to this site in that type of thread, some guy complaining about a bad tintjob on the dots, even side and bottom dots....it's not our damn fault!!!!!! :lol

Archived