DIGITINT

So I moved to the carolinas a short time ago to work for a new car dealership chain that had bought a new digitint system last year. I interviewed with them and after much thought decided to take the job. It has a set salary but I can make much more, benefits and paid relocation from up north. I have grown tired of never knowing day to day what im bringing home to the family.

Long story short I know theres been alot of questions concerning their program so here it is in a nut shell. they target new auto dealers because they are so quick to overpay for things that will supposedly increase the bottom line. The system has to cost atleast 15 to 20 grand up front. they require you to stock 20, 24, 30,36, and 40 in rolls of each shade that you install as well as those shades in the other line of film. they have a metal and a dyed ceramic.

both lines are extremely hard to shrink without a ton of high heat and then they burn real quick if you linger to long in one spot.The cutter program isnt too bad as far as patterns fitting but the process to get them sucks. It is completely micro managed.

You start by getting the car. then the ro#. then you set the machine to accept the vin # that you scan off the door. it reads and loads all the patterns listed for it. then you pick the window the shade of film and what size roll to use. If it is a !llegal shade 0r the wrong size roll it will not cut and you need a managers code to overide. Which is a pain when the manager is always busy.So once you get that done you load the required size to cut the windows. most of the time you have to change the roll 2 or 3 times per car . finally you get the patterns ,weed them and put them on or shrink them first if needed.

If for some reason the tint pattern is wrong, dont fit or has a problem and you need to recut it. you have to re-enter your code pick the reason for a new piece and get a manager to override. If you dont folow everystep forget about getting it done.

I would guess I loose at least 15 to 30 minutes a car by using the machine. They teach not to use razor knives or razor blades. clean only with scotchbrites. The system could be user friendly if they had used the smarts of a real tinter to fine tune. I can see why most dealerships fail with in house tinting when they try to take a beginner and teach them how to tint and use a complex system to do it. To me it is a double edged sword for failure.

Also with their ppf you have to stock 12, 18, 24, and 36 in rolls. and you can only cut what fits the rolls so you constantly change them on the plotter also.If it were my money I would either geta regular plotter system that only requires one size of film to stock or just hand cut period and keep the craft alive.But its not and I have a family to support so I will deal with the daily B.S.

It is also my personal opinion that the film is some sort of global qdp knock off. it has issues but I wont go there right now. Just passing along some info for the curious.pm me if you have any questions.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It truely does make it a lot harder to do your job. but it also frustrates alot of newbies and sends them packing. this dealer went through 4 before me and now I get to bring back the quality they lost. dont mind most days. NC is way nicer than ohio.

Guest Beeline

I know of a chevy here using digi and the installer (a friend) can't stand the set up. He nor I believe it is going to work out for them.

Guest mortist

Man, your setup is just about worthless.. But I decided I should jump in here and introduce myself since I registered last week and let everyone know that not all dealers are the same! I've been tinting almost every single car on our lot for four years, I've also done all the flat glass around the dealership that they needed done, and some residential flat glass on my personal time. We use a Roland plotter with the Film Designs program to cut the tint, but I'm not bound by any of your restrictions on the program and we are not required to stock any certain amount of tint. In my situation, the plotter saves me a ton of time because I usually tint the same model of car over and over again. So I can have 5-10 full patterns waiting and ready to go. I usually only use two different rolls per car and we stock two different brands in various shades and sizes. Any re-cuts are always written off to a policy account, no big deal. I dont know the total of the start-up cost on this setup but I am pretty sure it was NO where near what your setup was.

Anyway, I wish you the best of luck.

This forum is full of alot of good information, so thanks to everyone who is willing to provide it!

Brandon

So I moved to the carolinas a short time ago to work for a new car dealership chain that had bought a new digitint system last year. I interviewed with them and after much thought decided to take the job. It has a set salary but I can make much more, benefits and paid relocation from up north. I have grown tired of never knowing day to day what im bringing home to the family.

Long story short I know theres been alot of questions concerning their program so here it is in a nut shell. they target new auto dealers because they are so quick to overpay for things that will supposedly increase the bottom line. The system has to cost atleast 15 to 20 grand up front. they require you to stock 20, 24, 30,36, and 40 in rolls of each shade that you install as well as those shades in the other line of film. they have a metal and a dyed ceramic.

both lines are extremely hard to shrink without a ton of high heat and then they burn real quick if you linger to long in one spot.The cutter program isnt too bad as far as patterns fitting but the process to get them sucks. It is completely micro managed.

You start by getting the car. then the ro#. then you set the machine to accept the vin # that you scan off the door. it reads and loads all the patterns listed for it. then you pick the window the shade of film and what size roll to use. If it is a !llegal shade 0r the wrong size roll it will not cut and you need a managers code to overide. Which is a pain when the manager is always busy.So once you get that done you load the required size to cut the windows. most of the time you have to change the roll 2 or 3 times per car . finally you get the patterns ,weed them and put them on or shrink them first if needed.

If for some reason the tint pattern is wrong, dont fit or has a problem and you need to recut it. you have to re-enter your code pick the reason for a new piece and get a manager to override. If you dont folow everystep forget about getting it done.

I would guess I loose at least 15 to 30 minutes a car by using the machine. They teach not to use razor knives or razor blades. clean only with scotchbrites. The system could be user friendly if they had used the smarts of a real tinter to fine tune. I can see why most dealerships fail with in house tinting when they try to take a beginner and teach them how to tint and use a complex system to do it. To me it is a double edged sword for failure.

Also with their ppf you have to stock 12, 18, 24, and 36 in rolls. and you can only cut what fits the rolls so you constantly change them on the plotter also.If it were my money I would either geta regular plotter system that only requires one size of film to stock or just hand cut period and keep the craft alive.But its not and I have a family to support so I will deal with the daily B.S.

It is also my personal opinion that the film is some sort of global qdp knock off. it has issues but I wont go there right now. Just passing along some info for the curious.pm me if you have any questions.

:sign

Archived