shrinking with a torch

Shrinking with a torch is wreckless at best. There should be no open flames involved with window tinting and near cars. The only combustion a car needs is in the cylinders pushing the pistons down.

Get a good heat gun, drape the cord over your shoulder while you shrink the back window.

yo ace to each his own ....reckless is your point of view im sure there is people out there that no issue's shrinking like that...people can be reckless with a heat gun also burn moldings over heat and break the rear glass and so on...so dont stereo type torch shrinking plenty of people here do it ... :lol:hmmm and much props to the people who can

:dunno:hmmm

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My way of thinking on it is.. tint starts shrinking under 200 degrees.... so why bring out a big ass torch ???

I'm not saying it can't be done..... I have seen it done... but the risk to reward scale seems WAY out of balance....

My way of thinking on it is.. tint starts shrinking under 200 degrees.... so why bring out a big ass torch ???

I'm not saying it can't be done..... I have seen it done... but the risk to reward scale seems WAY out of balance....

I shrank a back window with a 40,000 btu heater once ..took 20 - 30 seconds, did it out of curiosity ..the above quote was my conclusion :hmmm

to me the torch is no different that a heat gun

when you adjust the distance you are adjusting the amount of heat that is actually hitting the surface anywhere from 0-hella hot

if you know how to use one its no different than a heat gun (ive never burnt a rear window molding with the torch)

a good heat gun is the same but in the shop I work in people use your stuff all the time we do alot of cars so you are always busy and cant keep an eye on your stuff

next thing you know a car is being pulled out and you hear a crunch and there goes your heat gun and 100 plus dollars out the door cause no one wants to take blame and pay you for another heat gun

shrinking with a torch isnt any faster than a good heat gun to me its just easier and less to worry about

Guest nc_wlch

I use a torch when I'm doing side jobs just for the cordless factor. I like it, and all I can say is yes it may be a lot more heat, but you move it more quickly than a gun, so no one area gets too much. just my opinion, I say whatever works.

Guest 1reddime

I tried torch shrinking 2 times and, well, Its just not for me. All I made was a wadded up piece of expensive azz film on my shop floor.

I've seen it done before, and of course the tinter doing it made it look sooooooo easy... :rollin

If you can shrink with a torch then my hats of too ya!

Its just like anything else. There is a learning curve to it.

I think some films react to this method better than others.

I tried it and got it to work but it wasnt something that I was willing to stick with.

I tried torch shrinking 2 times and, well, Its just not for me. All I made was a wadded up piece of expensive azz film on my shop floor.

I've seen it done before, and of course the tinter doing it made it look sooooooo easy... :beer

If you can shrink with a torch then my hats of too ya!

Thats what happened to me. The next time I'll ever try it is if the power went out and I still have cars in the shop.

Archived