FINANCIAL TIMES

By Sergei Lavrov

Published: August 12 2008 19:52 | Last updated: August 12 2008 19:52

For some of those witnessing the fighting in the Caucasus over the past few days, the narrative is straightforward and easy. The plucky republic of Georgia, with just a few million citizens, was attacked by its giant eastern neighbour, Russia. Add to this all the stereotypes of the cold war era, and you are presented with a truly David and Goliath interpretation – with all its accompanying connotations of good and evil. While this version of events is being written in much of the western media, the facts present a different picture.

Let me be absolutely clear. This is not a conflict of Russia’s making; this is not a conflict of Russia’s choosing. There are no winners from this conflict. Hours before the Georgian invasion, Russia had been working to secure a United Nations Security Council statement calling for a renunciation of force by both Georgia and South Ossetians. The statement that could have averted bloodshed was blocked by western countries.

Visit My Website

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bad deal all around. I don't understand what's behind it all but why can't both our countries just leave them alone?

V Putin scares some here. Don’t get me wrong Leo elected officials here scare me to cause they can't tell the truth. I'm sure in each of our countries we only hear what the government want us to hear.

Your friend

Stan

There is an old saying that goes, "The first casualty of war is the truth.".

I don't believe anything the controlled media/state says. It's safer to assume anything they say is a lie or is spun in some way.

I'm with you on that Ric! Hey I just saw the last post was #2000 for me!!!!!! Thanks TD for a place to have friends and hang.

Stan

Guest tallscott

Leo, I agree that the all news outlet have their own interests in what they write. But you can't position a 1000 tanks in "A few hours". Every intelligence agency in the world should have seen that many tanks moving, along with all the support needed, and troupes! No one said there was a troop massing in the news. The other problem is Russian spokesman said "We have stopped bombing and they haven't! Any insight? By the way, "The writer is minister of foreign affairs of the Russian Federation" What was I thinking?

Here's the deal from what I have been able to read so far...and don't get me wrong, I'm not taking sides, just trying to objectively analyze the situation...

The US wants Georgia to become part of the North Atlantic treaty org. and has been pumping weapons into Georgia for about the last 4 years.

The US can keep Russia from supplying Iran by land if they can control that area and Russia knows this and responded in kind to the military build up going on in Georgia by US and Israel.

Suddenly on 8/8, a Mosaad lead Georgian military unit starts mortar fire on Russian peace keeping troops in the break away area, igniting a Russian response. The response is hailed as Russian aggression.

If the US and Israel can gain control of this area, they can effectively cut off Russian ground supply to Iran if hostilities break out there and Russia does not want to let that happen because they know it would mean total war with the west.

In Russia's eyes, they only way they can avert total war is to keep control of this area.

Just my :rollin

Here's the deal from what I have been able to read so far...and don't get me wrong, I'm not taking sides, just trying to objectively analyze the situation...

The US wants Georgia to become part of the North Atlantic treaty org. and has been pumping weapons into Georgia for about the last 4 years.

The US can keep Russia from supplying Iran by land if they can control that area and Russia knows this and responded in kind to the military build up going on in Georgia by US and Israel.

Suddenly on 8/8, a Mosaad lead Georgian military unit starts mortar fire on Russian peace keeping troops in the break away area, igniting a Russian response. The response is hailed as Russian aggression.

If the US and Israel can gain control of this area, they can effectively cut off Russian ground supply to Iran if hostilities break out there and Russia does not want to let that happen because they know it would mean total war with the west.

In Russia's eyes, they only way they can avert total war is to keep control of this area.

Just my :rollin

So what do we do ....what does Russia do? Iran , Russia , Venezuela. All buddies....and have one thing on common....they would like to see the US brought to it's knees.

If we put troops in there..bad things will happen. We'd be lookin at a draft for sure.

:dunno

What do we do? Man I don't know, I guess it depends on what you mean by we.

To me it looks like both sides are making their intentions obvious, on the one hand the people that control western power want that territory to enable a strike on Iran, on the other hand the people that control eastern power know they need to maintain control over that area or the west will be able to strike their ally and cripple finance world wide.

The players in this situation are not stupid and would not be making these moves if they didn't think they would be able to pull it off. This is groundwork for the attack on Iran and Russia realizes this.

This very well might be the prelude to the apocalyptic war.

Archived