70% VLT, high heat rejection films?

Guest Diamond

I'm in Los Angeles and am thinking about tinting my Mazda 3 hatchback. The interior of my car is black and gets really hot in the CA sun, so I'm looking for a film that reduces the heat as much as possible. I'd like to have all of the windows with the same tint. I know that CA law says nothing can be applied to the front windows, and anything goes on the back and rear windows - but I've heard that as long as the tint on the front windows (not the windshield, I'm leaving that alone) is pretty light, they don't really care, so I'm looking for a film with a 70% visible light transmittance (VLT). I also want to reduce UV, but I think the films that reduce heat also reject ~99% of UV light, too, so that's probably fine for all of the films I'm looking at. Oh, and I want a film that won't interfere with GPS or radio signals.

So what's the best (or a good) film? Here's what I've considered so far - what do people think, and is there anything else I should consider? Recommendations for good places in LA to get tinting with these films?

3M Crystalline 70 (68% VLT, 9% VLR, 50% TSER, unknown SC and SHGC) - #s look good, but some people on this forum don't like 3M - why?

GeoShield IRis 70 (67% VLT, 9% VLR, 54% TSER, 0.53 SC, unknown SHGC) - #s look good, but it doesn't seem like many people use it - why?

I also considered the V-kool 70 (70% VLT, 8% VLR, 55% TSER, 0.50 SC, 0.44 SHGC) - but from what I've read, it causes a lot of problems with electronics. And I looked at Johnson Insulatir70 and Suntek Carbon 70, but they don't perform as well for TSER. And I was interested in the Vista VS70 and HiLite 70, but it looks like those films are only for buildings....

I know that if I dropped down to VLT 60%, I could also consider the Huper Optik Ceramic 60 or the 3M Crystalline 60 (or the Suntek INF 65, HO Sech, or Johnson Insulatir 60 - but I've heard those three are metallic and/or cause problems with reception), but I'd rather stay with 70% if I can....

Thanks!

Diamond

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest tintmanlibby
I'm in Los Angeles and am thinking about tinting my Mazda 3 hatchback. The interior of my car is black and gets really hot in the CA sun, so I'm looking for a film that reduces the heat as much as possible. I'd like to have all of the windows with the same tint. I know that CA law says nothing can be applied to the front windows, and anything goes on the back and rear windows - but I've heard that as long as the tint on the front windows (not the windshield, I'm leaving that alone) is pretty light, they don't really care, so I'm looking for a film with a 70% visible light transmittance (VLT). I also want to reduce UV, but I think the films that reduce heat also reject ~99% of UV light, too, so that's probably fine for all of the films I'm looking at. Oh, and I want a film that won't interfere with GPS or radio signals.

So what's the best (or a good) film? Here's what I've considered so far - what do people think, and is there anything else I should consider? Recommendations for good places in LA to get tinting with these films?

3M Crystalline 70 (68% VLT, 9% VLR, 50% TSER, unknown SC and SHGC) - #s look good, but some people on this forum don't like 3M - why?

GeoShield IRis 70 (67% VLT, 9% VLR, 54% TSER, 0.53 SC, unknown SHGC) - #s look good, but it doesn't seem like many people use it - why?

I also considered the V-kool 70 (70% VLT, 8% VLR, 55% TSER, 0.50 SC, 0.44 SHGC) - but from what I've read, it causes a lot of problems with electronics. And I looked at Johnson Insulatir70 and Suntek Carbon 70, but they don't perform as well for TSER. And I was interested in the Vista VS70 and HiLite 70, but it looks like those films are only for buildings....

I know that if I dropped down to VLT 60%, I could also consider the Huper Optik Ceramic 60 or the 3M Crystalline 60 (or the Suntek INF 65, HO Sech, or Johnson Insulatir 60 - but I've heard those three are metallic and/or cause problems with reception), but I'd rather stay with 70% if I can....

Thanks!

Diamond

with your extensive knowlage of tint I would go with glidden 40% it has no metal's in it :dunno

anyway's stick with the ceramic even though it's $$$$$$$$$$$$. check this site out www.huperoptikusa.com

I personally dont like the color stabble stuff ,though sunteck carbon is a good looking fim for the money.

If you're just putting a fancy film on the front two windows (and a darker traditional or ceramic on the back) I doubt you'll get any RF signal interference. So V-Kool 70 on the front roll downs is my vote.

Guest maddtinter

The only way you canHuper film achieve a 70% VLT is finding a film with more than 80% VLT.CA law is net measurement(film and glass).Your factory glass will read anywhere from 74-79% VLT.Huper film should be left out because it is not for the auto market.Huper carries a reflective look and has metal in it.As far as the other films go 3M is garbage,they have not produced a lasting auto product for 15+ years.Never heard of Geo films untill I joined this forum.If you are going to film your front doors illegally try Formula-One Pinnacle Film(PI 50) its performance should be enough at 43% TSER with no metal in it.

Guest vclimber
The only way you canHuper film achieve a 70% VLT is finding a film with more than 80% VLT.CA law is net measurement(film and glass).Your factory glass will read anywhere from 74-79% VLT.Huper film should be left out because it is not for the auto market.Huper carries a reflective look and has metal in it.As far as the other films go 3M is garbage,they have not produced a lasting auto product for 15+ years.Never heard of Geo films untill I joined this forum.If you are going to film your front doors illegally try Formula-One Pinnacle Film(PI 50) its performance should be enough at 43% TSER with no metal in it.

Any film at 70% vlt will meter lower due to the glass. Huper works on auto (if you are a good installer) but their lightest film (ACHT) is 77% vlt which will put you under the legal limit in CA. PI 50 willl be even worse so I don't know why you'd recommend that one...

Guest maddtinter

Did not know that Huper changed their PS adhesive system tha can withstand over time the fluctuation of temperature a car is exposed too.Interior temp of a car can get beyond 185F or below -10F.Couldn't believe glass interior temp on home/building would be affected the same way.Stay with films designed for their purpose.Besides Pooper film has Titanium-Nitride which is a metal therefore f#$king up different types of frequencies.

Guest vclimber
Did not know that Huper changed their PS adhesive system tha can withstand over time the fluctuation of temperature a car is exposed too.Interior temp of a car can get beyond 185F or below -10F.Couldn't believe glass interior temp on home/building would be affected the same way.Stay with films designed for their purpose.Besides Pooper film has Titanium-Nitride which is a metal therefore f#$king up different types of frequencies.

Better do some research before you bash...

Yes, Huper changed their adhesive. Tough stuff... no problems on auto.

No... TiN is not a metal, look it up, it is classified as a ceramic.

Guest maddtinter

So no more ghosting on curved glass? Find it hard to believe.Tianium Nitrite will not interfere with signals? Seems you do not know about the "pooper film".The insallers in my area install that crap like this"all sides with minimal curve Huper,if the door glass needs shrinking they will not install it;any curved back glass will not install it".So back glass of mazda hatch will not ghost when shrinking,BS.Let see here install different films on the car depending on the curve in the glass.That means dyed/extruded film on most curved glass on Sh!t Pooper on flat!Makes sense to me.Or sell a product that carries an automotive look(not shiny) and be able to install it on any curved window with no ghosting.

Guest vclimber
So no more ghosting on curved glass? Find it hard to believe.Tianium Nitrite will not interfere with signals? Seems you do not know about the "pooper film".

No... I know nothing about it. :welcome

Guest maddtinter
:rollin GHOSTING?Check th Periodic Elements Table and you will see that titanium is a white metal.TiN is the after math of the burning of Ti which means that there are very small (nano) particles that have metal. :thumb:

Archived