70% VLT, high heat rejection films?

Guest Diamond

Guest vclimber
Does anyone know of any reception problems with the two films I asked about - Crystalline 70 or GeoShield 70?

They are constructed with IR absorbing dye so you should not have RF issues with either. You will have other issues with the color coat on the Crystalline because it is located in the SR coating. Geoshield says IRIS 70 is ceramic but it's performance specs are characteristic of IR absorbing dye films so I'm suspect.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Vclimber -I know you're not a fan of 3M, but do you know anything about the Crystalline line?

Crystalline=3M Prestige with auto adhesive. Same stuff...

And you don't like Prestige because they add TiN to the scratch coat, so it scratches easily? Not sure if I'm remembering that right....

The adhesive system in the 3m auto film will bubble.This has been going on since they had Panther films back in the early 90's.Their CS(color stable film)looks extremely hazy and leaves really bad impressions inthe film at the top of your rollups.Crystalline I do not know much about I can only assume the adhesive is the same for the past 10+ years.Heat rejection sounds to be of most importance to your specific needs therefore V-Kool is my choice the only problem is what you alreadt know,metal.Have you considered that reducing glare makes it feel more comfortable when driving.I have installed PI50 in CA all around(except windshield)not once has a ticket been issued that I am aware of.

Okay, thanks - good to know about the bubbling with the adhesive. It does come with a lifetime warranty, but I'd rather not have to use it....

Does anyone know of any reception problems with the two films I asked about - Crystalline 70 or GeoShield 70?

They are constructed with IR absorbing dye so you should not have RF issues with either. You will have other issues with the color coat on the Crystalline because it is located in the SR coating. Geoshield says IRIS 70 is ceramic but it's performance specs are characteristic of IR absorbing dye films so I'm suspect.

You're too fast - answering my questions before I even post them! :thumb Interesting that neither 3M nor GeoShield says anything about a dye (that I could find) on their websites....

Guest maddtinter

If you had to redo 1 window because the film affected the electronics,why would you risk the same problem on someone elses car?Maybe some people do not notice that the film has caused problems.Sometime ago,I was approached by Huper to install their film on cars.I was able to install it on all the cars I attempted.My biggest concern was the ghosting in the film(for those that do not know what ghosting is,your window film will look like oil is in between the film and glass as the sun reflects light on the window).By the way what ever happened to Huper teaming up with the Fittipaldi Racing team to open car detail and tint locations.

Guest vclimber

You're too fast - answering my questions before I even post them! :thumb Interesting that neither 3M nor GeoShield says anything about a dye (that I could find) on their websites....

3M has it in their patent... Geo is an import so it is harder to nail down the construction. Like I said, it performs characteristic of an IR dyed film. No 70vlt ceramic has pulled the TSER that IRIS 70 claims to have.

Guest vclimber
If you had to redo 1 window because the film affected the electronics,why would you risk the same problem on someone elses car?Maybe some people do not notice that the film has caused problems.Sometime ago,I was approached by Huper to install their film on cars.I was able to install it on all the cars I attempted.My biggest concern was the ghosting in the film(for those that do not know what ghosting is,your window film will look like oil is in between the film and glass as the sun reflects light on the window).By the way what ever happened to Huper teaming up with the Fittipaldi Racing team to open car detail and tint locations.

Fittipaldi Racing? :thumb I have yet to see a one of their locations... with the economy the way it is, I doubt I ever will see one. :beer

Ghosting can be a problem if practice and technique are not up to par... after years of working with the films we know what can be done and what is a risk. Like flatglass, you work with films long enough and you know when to walk away...

Guest maddtinter

I agree the economy sucks with a record drop on the DOW today I can only see more :thumb to hit the fan this winter.I only mentioned the partnering of HO and Fittipaldi to see if what a Huper dealer told me is true.

Vclimber, I want to call you out on this whole issue of you stating that Geoshield IRis70 has "IR absorbing dyes" in it. They state that it does not and rather you THINK they are telling lies or whatever please give a source to PROVE it up.... we have debated this before and Burns assured me that the Geoshield flat glass films did NOT have any dyes in them.

It would be nice if we could all install the HO films or similar but it just isn't true as not everyone should be given access to just anything....

Guest vclimber
Vclimber, I want to call you out on this whole issue of you stating that Geoshield IRis70 has "IR absorbing dyes" in it. They state that it does not and rather you THINK they are telling lies or whatever please give a source to PROVE it up.... we have debated this before and Burns assured me that the Geoshield flat glass films did NOT have any dyes in them.

It would be nice if we could all install the HO films or similar but it just isn't true as not everyone should be given access to just anything....

Sure, no problem. :lol

I have always said that "I think" or it is "my opinion" that the film contains IR absorbing dyes. To my recollection I have never said it is fact and if I ever have made it look as though that was the case, I will edit the post. I do not want or intend to offend you or Burns or anyone else for that matter that why the few opinions I and others have about it sit in the SNAFU. Right now the reason that leads me to have this opinion is that the only 70% vlt films on the market that perform this well are (Ag) films like VK-70, Vista SS-70, Hilite 70, and so forth... 70% vlt films that contain IR absorbing dye such as PR 70 perform very close to the same. Ceramics at 70%vlt with the same VLR are nowhere in the neighborhood of 54%TSER. How does IRIS 70 being ceramic perform so well? Look at Geo 40 or any other ceramic 40%vlt and it performs similar, how is that so?

If it is (Ag) technology, then corrosion would be an issue. IRIS 70 does not corrode... So then that leaves IR absorbing dye technology or... a Ceramic combination that can reject 54% TSER to which I have said in the past; that makes for an awesome film! There's a huge market for that kind of stuff.

The only question is why haven't Madico, Johnson, Huper, and Vista followed suit (a common industry practice)? Thus the question remains in my head because I am a geek about film construction, when something riddles me, I seek answers... not to offend, sway, or bash. It is just an opinion/suspicion towards something based on known film performances, the look of the film, and knowing where it is made. We all have our opinions about everything here and I could be wrong, and if so, I will admit to it. So for now they say it is ceramic and I will take them on their word with question as to what makes perform similar to Geo 40 ceramic yet differ so much on the vlt? :lol

Actually, if Burns or anyone else could explain it I bet he'd get a ton of interest and as a result, more sales. :beer It can't be that big a trade secret, nothing in this industry is. -imo

Huper Optik is not the solution to everything, they don't even have a 70%vlt film, not to mention a security grade 70%vlt. Geo has both and that's great. :lol I understand about access... the film I most desire, I cannot get... at the moment.

Ceramics at 70%vlt with the same VLR are nowhere in the neighborhood of 54%TSER. How does IRIS 70 being ceramic perform so well? Look at Geo 40 or any other ceramic 40%vlt and it performs similar, how is that so?

If it is (Ag) technology, then corrosion would be an issue. IRIS 70 does not corrode... So then that leaves IR absorbing dye technology or... a Ceramic combination that can reject 54% TSER to which I have said in the past; that makes for an awesome film! There's a huge market for that kind of stuff.

Well, that's also the published spec on 1/4".

Archived