stopped by best buy

Hey buddy I am one of the tinters at Best Buy in OKC. The two of us here have been tinting profesionaly for over ten years. We only tint with Global HP. You are right about our display, we actually just noticed it too. The display is for QDP. The city made us take the sign out front down until we obtain a permit. But we are still tinting strong.
What store were you at?

Hi buddy!!!

First, I was not bashing you or your buddy. Second, you must agree with my assessment as you said you fixed your display. If you did that then great. That first impression for people will be better for it. Third, if you are using HP exclusively I would also recommend removing the sign that states you use a film that will not interfere with signals. You would need QD or QDP for that. With HP or any other metallized film there is the possibility. Fourth and possibly most important, if I spoke to you or your buddy that day, I would recommend getting to know your product better; and if the person I spoke to was a BB employee.......stress to them that it is important to refer customers to you and not pretend to be the tinter.

Otherwise, it is a laughable operations whether or not you are doing a massive amount of business per day or not.

The visit I referred to was at the BB on Interstate 40 near Rockwell.

I am not bashing you as I have never seen your actual work unless you tinted that display window. On that window I pointed out the obvious flaws that any customer would see and I pointed out the nice edge that any customer would probably not pay attention to. :lol2

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest scottydosnntkno
Hey buddy I am one of the tinters at Best Buy in OKC. The two of us here have been tinting profesionaly for over ten years. We only tint with Global HP. You are right about our display, we actually just noticed it too. The display is for QDP. The city made us take the sign out front down until we obtain a permit. But we are still tinting strong.
What store were you at?

Hi buddy!!!

First, I was not bashing you or your buddy. Second, you must agree with my assessment as you said you fixed your display. If you did that then great. That first impression for people will be better for it. Third, if you are using HP exclusively I would also recommend removing the sign that states you use a film that will not interfere with signals. You would need QD or QDP for that. With HP or any other metallized film there is the possibility. Fourth and possibly most important, if I spoke to you or your buddy that day, I would recommend getting to know your product better; and if the person I spoke to was a BB employee.......stress to them that it is important to refer customers to you and not pretend to be the tinter.

Otherwise, it is a laughable operations whether or not you are doing a massive amount of business per day or not.

The visit I referred to was at the BB on Interstate 40 near Rockwell.

I am not bashing you as I have never seen your actual work unless you tinted that display window. On that window I pointed out the obvious flaws that any customer would see and I pointed out the nice edge that any customer would probably not pay attention to. :lol2

:lol2

I would just like to say this....10 years ago my husband installed custom audio systems in his old biz...he did really nice work and won some state and regional competetions...he made about $150,000 a year doing this and misc. dealer work (remote starters etc.) He went into BB to buy a tv and saw the same radios he installed for sale retail cheaper than he could buy them wholesale. A majority of his business was doing the quick in and out radio installs, and now BB was competeting for that work. The next year, he made $85,000, so he got out of that side of the biz. He says he knew eventually BB would install a lot of the stuff he sold, and he just couldn't compete with there prices.

I think BB installing tint might be funny to some, but if they offer benefits, discounts, and training for their tint installers, like they have with their audio installers. We might have to compete with them for a bit. A lot of custys if they get a bad job or bad film will never go back to them, but if they get 100 of your potential custys a year, that could hit your pocketbook a bit, a hundred customers a year at about an average of $200 per car....that is $20,000 guys.

I also know some guys think Walmart selling window tint is funny, but you have to understand that these big big big businesses have a lot of buying power. Example, we used to sell some manufactured graphic kits. They were really well done, and had a great warranty...we generally would pay about $200 for the kit and then charge for install...we had a guy come in yesterday with the same kit, he got it for $49 at Walmart. Of course, we would not install it, it was on a no name film and the quality of the graphic was considerably less than the ones we could get. However, the graphics company sold out to make big money with walmart. So I took the graphics catalogs from this company and threw them away.

With a lot of big business in trouble they will be looking for alternative ways to get their customers to come to their stores. And sadly when it comes to a lot of the products we all sell and manufacture, a lot of customers are uneducated on differences in quality of film and quality of install.

Just be aware of the competetion, especially when they have a bigger name/company...even though we might not feel they are competetion...the custy might.

Guest scottydosnntkno
I would just like to say this....10 years ago my husband installed custom audio systems in his old biz...he did really nice work and won some state and regional competetions...he made about $150,000 a year doing this and misc. dealer work (remote starters etc.) He went into BB to buy a tv and saw the same radios he installed for sale retail cheaper than he could buy them wholesale. A majority of his business was doing the quick in and out radio installs, and now BB was competeting for that work. The next year, he made $85,000, so he got out of that side of the biz. He says he knew eventually BB would install a lot of the stuff he sold, and he just couldn't compete with there prices.

I think BB installing tint might be funny to some, but if they offer benefits, discounts, and training for their tint installers, like they have with their audio installers. We might have to compete with them for a bit. A lot of custys if they get a bad job or bad film will never go back to them, but if they get 100 of your potential custys a year, that could hit your pocketbook a bit, a hundred customers a year at about an average of $200 per car....that is $20,000 guys.

I also know some guys think Walmart selling window tint is funny, but you have to understand that these big big big businesses have a lot of buying power. Example, we used to sell some manufactured graphic kits. They were really well done, and had a great warranty...we generally would pay about $200 for the kit and then charge for install...we had a guy come in yesterday with the same kit, he got it for $49 at Walmart. Of course, we would not install it, it was on a no name film and the quality of the graphic was considerably less than the ones we could get. However, the graphics company sold out to make big money with walmart. So I took the graphics catalogs from this company and threw them away.

With a lot of big business in trouble they will be looking for alternative ways to get their customers to come to their stores. And sadly when it comes to a lot of the products we all sell and manufacture, a lot of customers are uneducated on differences in quality of film and quality of install.

Just be aware of the competetion, especially when they have a bigger name/company...even though we might not feel they are competetion...the custy might.

walmart also carries a lot of things that noone ever buys, but they have to stock it from their corporate. Every time I even go near the auto department of my local wally world I'm the only person in that department. Its way in the back corner next to paint and bicycles, two other sections where I rarely see other people. The very last aisle is where they keep all their customization stuff like that, that I'm sure they're lucky if they sell one of those items a week. Regardless of what it is, that whole section is just a ghost town no matter what time of the day it is. I'm sure that the turnover in a store as big as walmart is rediculously low. They stock millions of products because they can and have the space, and are probably happy if they sell one of everything a week. That being said, walmart has the lowest oil prices by far. I just picked up a couple 5qts of Castrol Edge for $29.99 each, when everywhere else has them for $9.60 a quart.

Guest scottydosnntkno
We try not to shop at any big biz, it is really hard, but we try to pay a bit more and support other small biz owners as well...it pays off in the end, we get work from them and visa versa, even have traded steaks for tint...yummy!

I try and support the little business when possible. Sometimes its just not financially feasible though. Why would I spent almost $50 on oil when I could get the same thing for $30. Service though we have a small local shop that my family takes all our cars to whenever we need it because they're always fair and can fix what is really wrong.

Archived