Tint Differences

RoShute

A new company that I just got a sign contract with is also wanting to tint the windows of the office front. I've got samples from suntek. The only difference between automotive and residential/commercial tint that I can see is the reflection of the residential/commercial that isn't on the automotive tint. Is this the only difference other than price? I'm not bragging, but I'm great at doing graphics/decals on vehicle windows without having having any bubbles. Will tinting flat glass be a problem? Could someone give me some insight on doing flat glass tinting? If this proves to be a money maker, I may add it to our list of capabilities for businesses. Are there any companies other than the manufacturers that I can order the tint from?

Thanks,

:lol6

Why order from someone other than a manufacturer? If you need pointers there is an easy step by step flyer/guide available from LLumar. Call your area's distributor and have them send it to you along with sample book. The rep can help you determine safe films for your application too.

Differences in the films include adhesive types, absorption percentages, energy rejection, and reflectivity.

'Typically' flat glass films use a dry adhesive where auto films have pressure sensitive adhesive...

If you are doing graphix on a store front I would stick with auto films for the graphics as they will tack up faster for you....

how about compare a Paintless dent repair guy to a complete collision repair tech?

With flat glass you have a great deal of different GLASS types to deal with as well as shadows, framing, window treatments, heating and a/c ducting, as well as altitude and many other things! You have to know the glass you are tinting as well as you know the films you are putting on. With automotive you basically have tempered glass and can put most any film on there.

With flat glass you can cause the glass to break and or the seals to fail which can lead to you replacing the windows. Many factors in flat glass that you will not find in Automotive....

The arch films are made better. They typically last much longer as well. I dont think Suntek will warranty any auto film that is applied to flat glass (not for sure on this). ST has come out with a new film, I think its called DS? It looks good, and its a fg film. I havent used it, but it doesnt look as shiny as the other arch films, which might be a better choice if you plan on doing graphics along with tinting. Use a film that will be warrantied by ST should you chose to go with them. They are good about sending sample rolls that you can try out before you buy.

Guest Total tint
The arch films are made better. They typically last much longer as well. I dont think Suntek will warranty any auto film that is applied to flat glass (not for sure on this). ST has come out with a new film, I think its called DS? It looks good, and its a fg film. I havent used it, but it doesnt look as shiny as the other arch films, which might be a better choice if you plan on doing graphics along with tinting. Use a film that will be warrantied by ST should you chose to go with them. They are good about sending sample rolls that you can try out before you buy.

correct they will not warranty it, also the infinity line from suntek is good

with 19 years exp you should already know the answers to your questions

My experience is with graphic design for all kinds of businesses, cars, and store fronts, and all types of advertising. I've not worked with tint before, but my wife and I are looking to add it to our company as another offer along with the many other things that we do for them. The more you can do for other businesses, the more money you can make, and get larger company contracts.

:eyebrows

Archived