Proposed Texas tint law

TintDude

Guest tiger_football

I agree whole heartedly agree with simply enforcing the existing laws and increasing the fines. I think if CA would change the legal limit on the fronts to a net 35% and strictly enforce it with a progressive fine for repeat offenses ($50-$100-$250+), it would increase much the needed revenue for the state and dramatically reduce the number of tint terrorists.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
:jerkit Dude... if you have been dreaming of being the dark tint hack of the long horn state. you need to find another dream..... :lol2

We are a net 35 state... and we have tint shops :spit

how does that saying go... oh yeah... 'Welcome to ThunderDome ' :spit

I think you misunderstood , Im not going to be installing !llegal tint thats why im opposed to the law. Why would anyone pay good money for 50% film (thats basically clear) when they can go to the next hack shop down the street and get 35% or 15 % or what ever they want because I know this law isnt going to change anything.

I agree the hack shops it will be business as usual. :cool

I agree whole heartedly agree with simply enforcing the existing laws and increasing the fines.

:jerkit make it the darker the tint the stiffer the fine kind of like the fines for a speeding ticket 40 miles over the limit is alot higher than 10 over :spit If it meters 25% or less $250 10% 0r less $500.

Why would the senate want to change the existing laws???

because there are tinters everywhere down there that can't even follow a decent law. blame it on the guys doing 15-5% on fronts.

I dont think that is the reason. If that was the case they would simply increase the penalties for the current laws.

If a high way has a speed limit of 60 but everyone does 80mph do they lower the speed limit to 30 miles an hour??? no, they simply put more cops on the highway to issue more tickets. More and more people are getting DWI's... is alcohol !llegal? NO, they have only increased penalties associated with a DWI.

Furthermore, the people who are doing 5% all around via cash only, do you think this will really stop them???

They were breaking the law before, so nothing has changed for them.

So once again, Why would the senate want to change the existing laws???

TintJunkie: we got the same fax from Enpro. Last time they tried to pass this a couple of the guys from Enpro to Austin and pulled a couple of the legislators out and showed them legally tinted car and told them that if they change the law they will have to R/R their own vehicles and I think that helped kill the bill. My brother is very political and a huge part of the Republican party here in Texas and I also Have another friend who is a judge in Plano. Both of them think that there is a pretty good chance the bill will die in the House but they are both willing to help get the word out in the party. The best thing we can do is call the representatives and let them know that their own vehicles will be !llegal if this law passes. Cause a lot of them just don't realize what they are voting for.

Guest tiger_football

Simply changing the existing laws WITHOUT strict enforcement will not stop them. If strict penalties for having !llegal tint are enforced, demand for 5% all around will dry up. We do not even need to mention penalties for installing it as no customer will risk paying a $100-$300+ ticket. That $99 hack job just turned into a $300 removal.

As far as the new bill reads there is no allowance for metering variance which the existing law does. That's why I think this bill was just thrown together with no investigation. I have met the honorable Corona who wrote the Senate bill. He has a real holier than thou attitude and like a lot of politicians these days thinks his I.Q. is higher than ours and knows whats best for us.

To much :bingo I am sending it today

I am writing you today to address HB 4523/ SB 589, after reading said bill it is my understanding that Section 547.613 of the Transportation code is being amended. I have read the entire amendment and would like to address Subsection (a) 2 (A). Where it reads (2) a wing vent or window other then the windshield if the vent or window has a sunscreening device that in combination with the vent or window (A) a light transmission of 35 [25] percent or more.

Let me introduce myself, my name is Michael Galbreath, and I have owned and operated Paladin Auto Specialties (window tinting) since 1985. I solely support myself and my family with this business. Therefore it is imperative to keep abreast of the current laws. I am deeply concerned with HB 4523/ SB 589 especially in these tough economic times.

Texas state window tinting laws have been confusing to the average consumer for many years. Primarily, because the Transportation code and the inspection laws are not the same. The Transpiration code currently states a light transmission of 25% net for all side windows on a sedan or coupe. The inspection law however states 20% net on the windows only directly to the right and left of the driver.

And now we come to the introduction of HB 4523/ SB 589. As if the laws were not already confusing to the consumer and difficult for the installer to follow, this bill changes the net from 25% to 35% visible light transmission.

In order to reach a net, one must account not only for the film but the actual glass. Therefore by adding 35% film to factory glass one can achieve within a margin a net of 28% to 25% visible light transmission.

With the passing of HB 4523 / SB 589 to reach a net of 35% the difference in the darkness of film would be minimal just 10% different, yet the cost to the small business person who employ over 8,000 people state wide would be substantial. In addition the cost of once again reeducating law enforcement, Inspection Stations, and window tinting shop owners and installer would be substantial not only to the small business owner but to the state of Texas.

Please reconsider amending Subsection (a) 2 (A) back to 25% net.

I am not clear as to the actual purpose of this amendment. If it is for enforcement reasons please understand that our industry cares about the safety of the public and law enforcement. However, HB 4523/ SB 589 will not accomplish this. What will accomplish this is the enforcement of the current statute. It is unfortunate that there are those who will install products darker than the current law allows. These people should be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law.

I have included a sample of 35% film so that you might see what the darkest legal shade as the law is written now. If you have any questions or would like any information on window tinting I would be happy to sit down with you.

Thank you so much for your valuable time,

Very well said. I have faxed over a similar letter to several reps and senators. If I donor hear back from them I will commence with the phone calls. I have already called several different offices and the reps say they won't know ifvthey are going to support the bill until it gets out of committee

Archived