Proposed Texas tint law

TintDude

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was with the IWFA today for the Illinois law at the Capitol, and he was on the phone to tell people to stop calling...you still have your 25% :gasp It sounded like a done deal. :lol2

I told him to get off the damn phone, we have more important issues/states to deal with right now. :lol

We are making giant strides in Illinois...today was a big day, we have the State Troopers support on a new bill we are proposing and it's a really good one. :gasp

There is hope in Illinois, but much more work is needed. IWFA stepped up in Illinois, and I can tell, they haven't forgot about Texas. They deserve a little positive press, and here it is. Lynwood Butner in particular has been working hard along with a few shop owners here in IL giving up their time and energy, and CP films with Sal and their lawyer also needs mention for their help today. Gus the Tinter was awesome today also. The big thing is we as dealers, need to abide by good laws when/if we get them. I don't think that point is stressed enough anywhere. I've been as guilty as anyone in the past. It's not good for our image. That image is a pretty big obsticle as I'm finding out.

I was with the IWFA today for the Illinois law at the Capitol, and he was on the phone to tell people to stop calling...you still have your 25% :gasp It sounded like a done deal. :lol2

I told him to get off the damn phone, we have more important issues/states to deal with right now. :lol

We are making giant strides in Illinois...today was a big day, we have the State Troopers support on a new bill we are proposing and it's a really good one. :gasp

There is hope in Illinois, but much more work is needed. IWFA stepped up in Illinois, and I can tell, they haven't forgot about Texas. They deserve a little positive press, and here it is. Lynwood Butner in particular has been working hard along with a few shop owners here in IL giving up their time and energy, and CP films with Sal and their lawyer also needs mention for their help today. Gus the Tinter was awesome today also. The big thing is we as dealers, need to abide by good laws when/if we get them. I don't think that point is stressed enough anywhere. I've been as guilty as anyone in the past. It's not good for our image. That image is a pretty big obsticle as I'm finding out.

tried to PM.....but it wouldn't work for you....

So, are you saying that there is a push for a fair tint law in Illinois finally? I have struggled for years to limit people on what I will put on their windows, but how do I say that I will let them "break" the law a little but not a bunch?? I would love to have a law that allowed for 35% on the front and even if it limited the rear to 20%....

The law will be written as followed. Remember, it's NOT a law yet, it has a long way to go, but with support from the Police Union for the first time ever, there is hope. Existing law stands if you go darker than 30% film meaning no film on fronts with darker than 30% on the back.....with 30% on the rear sect, you will be allowed 50% on the fronts.....or....35% all around. There's a mountain of provisions, along with the proposed installer fines, but it's a winner if it goes. I'll say it again, if we get this, we better not screw it up because it's a damn good bill. I have a ton of respect for the cops and the union for listening, and giving us our demonstration today, and it would absolutely destroy me to see this create problems for them if it goes through. They are good guys with a tough job, lets give em a break and keep it light.

edit...These are film laws, not net. Net will be in there, but as a sidebar so the public doesn't use the film/net confusion to go darker.

Any further questions really can't be answered yet, the actual wording is being worked on by lawyers and such tomorrow but that's about it in a nutshell. There's more, but you have to be patient, and don't assume anything will go.

Guest tintbuyer

Hello - very good threads on why we should all work the system to support good, fair laws and oppose badly conceived laws. I don't think I can add value to what has been said regarding fighting this law - however, consider another angle WHILE you oppose the Texas Senate and House Bills. Because of the bill and the imminent backlash, this topic will get more air time in Texas - and I suspect some of you will be interviewed by news media. When you do (or if you are just in your shop doing your regular selling job to a prospective customer) remember that people sitting on their couches eating Doritos do not sympathize with us. They are going to see an interview with a police officer who was shot and than pan to you for a response. The best thing you can do is to say "while I respectfully disagree with the proposed law, we at [your company name here] will continue our longstanding tradition of SAFE, LEGAL window tinting". Use this opportunity to distance yourself from the people who are causing all this - the shops that tint illegally. While arguing against this law, assume it will pass and prepare yourself to use this opportunity to say "I don't want cops to get shot either. If the legislature believes this will keep them safer I have to agree to disagree but accept their studies and the law." Regarding your family's safety and clear windows - wow, I can certainly relate. I have dark tinted windows on my minivan and am glad it is hard to see my wife and four little ones inside. However, the Texas law still apparently allows reflective films (25%?) which offer great privacy during the day for your family.

I guess what I am trying to say is that while we fight this, we need to prepare for the possibility that it will pass and figure out how our business can create separation from others by leveraging it.

Keep you head up - we are in this together.

Along with the fact that if Texas goes up to 35% there will be tons of film that will have to be tossed, since it will be too dark for use on the fronts, and probably too short for use on back glass.

So, the Texas Tint Shops would have to buy film that would be legal, where none of the current stock would be legal.

An expense that tint shops can ill afford in any economic climate.

Then, you also have the film suppliers that are stuck with all this film that no one wants, bad deal for the entire industry.

This email was sent to me today...

Texas Dealers,

Congratulations! You're efforts have paid off in a big way.

The authors of SB 589 have convinced the legislature to keep the VLT at 25% for front windows. Please read the attached legislative alert from the office of the IWFA for more information.

Our campaign to keep Texas tinting has been very, very successful. Your support and contributions are what helped the legislature make a change.

Please contact your representative and thank them for their support of our industry.

Thanks, and congratulations again!

Team Enpro

Archived