Proposed Texas tint law

TintDude

and more....

Transportation Committee March 23, 2009

Room E2.806 Capital Extension

Austin, TX 78701

Dear Representative,

Senate Bill # 589 authored by the Honorable John Corona recently passed the Senate with no dissenting votes. There is a companion bill in the house H.B 4523 authored by the Honorable Larry Phillips.

It is quite unfortunate that neither the Window Film Industry nor the International Window Film Association (IWFA) was consulted or made aware of this piece of legislation.

This Bill further limits the tinting on side windows of automobiles from 25% visible light transmission (VLT) to 35% VLT. The current statute is fair and equitable and allows for excellent visibility inside and outside of a motor vehicle. The many benefits that the product offers include glare reduction (better visibility), reduction of solar heat (making drivers and passengers more comfortable and reducing the amount of air conditioning needed to cool the vehicle), reduction of 99.5% of ultra violet rays and more.

Passage of this Bill into law would devastate the Window Tinting Industry in the State of Texas. Consumers will not purchase tint that has a high VLT and is hardly even noticeable on an automobile window. This Bill removes two of the most effective benefits of window tint, which are minimizing glare and reducing solar heat gain. This will also have a significant economic impact on small businesses and new car dealerships. Approximately 2,200 of these types of business are involved in the selling and application of auto window tint (with the extreme vast majority doing so legally). They employ more than 8,000 people in the state and have retail sales estimated at $60,000,000. The associated tax revenue from this industry would equate to $4,950,000 annually.

Please understand that our industry cares about the safety of the public and law enforcement. However, H.B. 4523 will not accomplish this. What will accomplish this is the enforcement of the current statute. It is unfortunate that there are a few “tinters” who install products darker (25% V.L.T.) than the statute allows. These people need to be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law. This is what we need to enforce. We will be more than happy to assist in this legislation so we can all be safe without crippling our industry in Texas. Let’s please not throw the baby out with the bath water.

We ask that you please not support H.B. 4523 and help us save jobs and keep the benefits that so many Texans enjoy with window tinting.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Djkyle65

This is absolutely ridiculous law I sure hope this doesn't get passed putting 50% on a car seems almost clear and not almost does this suck but its going to kill the industry why put tint on a car if it does nothing

Why would the senate want to change the existing laws???

because there are tinters everywhere down there that can't even follow a decent law. blame it on the guys doing 15-5% on fronts.

The sad part is the same people will still be installing 5-15% they need to have stiffer fines and enforce the laws they already have make it like a $250-500 ticket for the vehicle owner and go after shop owners that openly advertise !llegal tintng.:beer

Guest Djkyle65

I have emailed every one on the list , do yall think we can really stop this ? Its really going to ruin my dreams of a business if its passed

:spit Dude... if you have been dreaming of being the dark tint hack of the long horn state. you need to find another dream..... :spit

We are a net 35 state... and we have tint shops :rollin

how does that saying go... oh yeah... 'Welcome to ThunderDome ' :spit

Guest Djkyle65
:spit Dude... if you have been dreaming of being the dark tint hack of the long horn state. you need to find another dream..... :spit

We are a net 35 state... and we have tint shops :spit

how does that saying go... oh yeah... 'Welcome to ThunderDome ' :rollin

I think you misunderstood , Im not going to be installing !llegal tint thats why im opposed to the law. Why would anyone pay good money for 50% film (thats basically clear) when they can go to the next hack shop down the street and get 35% or 15 % or what ever they want because I know this law isnt going to change anything.

:spit Dude... if you have been dreaming of being the dark tint hack of the long horn state. you need to find another dream..... :rollin

We are a net 35 state... and we have tint shops :spit

how does that saying go... oh yeah... 'Welcome to ThunderDome ' :spit

I think you misunderstood , Im not going to be installing !llegal tint thats why im opposed to the law. Why would anyone pay good money for 50% film (thats basically clear) when they can go to the next hack shop down the street and get 35% or 15 % or what ever they want because I know this law isnt going to change anything.

Exactly!! There are so many hacks in Houston. They say, "We will do it, but not issue you a reciept." I am not too focused on automotive, but I still do quite a bit. I do auto to "float" me b/t the fg jobs. This will destroy our legitimate companies in Texas. Should we say no, we wont do it, the custy will simply go to someone who will, b/c the DONT care. I have posted this information on 2 other sites. This site is the most common/popular site, and I EXPECT the members to help with this issue. We are in this together. Regardless if you live in our state, call someone. Should this issue come up in any other state, I will call to help your cause. Please, help us on this issue.

Archived