dry shrinking

well it was kind of a slow day and I had a 4 door malibu come in so I thought what the hell im never gonna learn dry shrinking if I never try it. plus I figured if it didnt pan out for me I could still salvage my screw by finishing it wet. so I tried the mdog way and to my surprise it went pretty good. yea yea I know its not that hard of a window, but I just wanted to see what it was like. it shrinks a little different or maybe it was just me. im use to seeing fingers and parts of the film laying on the window. this way the film kind of hovered over the glass until you hit it with the card. looking forward to my next car so I can try it some more. thanks mdog.

Guest scottydosnntkno
well it was kind of a slow day and I had a 4 door malibu come in so I thought what the hell im never gonna learn dry shrinking if I never try it. plus I figured if it didnt pan out for me I could still salvage my screw by finishing it wet. so I tried the mdog way and to my surprise it went pretty good. yea yea I know its not that hard of a window, but I just wanted to see what it was like. it shrinks a little different or maybe it was just me. im use to seeing fingers and parts of the film laying on the window. this way the film kind of hovered over the glass until you hit it with the card. looking forward to my next car so I can try it some more. thanks mdog.

thats the whole point of any type of dry shrinking. especially with full metal films or some hybrids. it distributes the shrink evenly over the entire window, not just in the fingers so you don't get any ghosting. Keep trying it, and you'll get better and better.

once you get good at it, you don't even need to touch it a whole lot. you can just use the heat gun and go back and forth slowly and even though the film doesn't lay 100% flat on the outside, once you learn to read it it will lay up fine inside. Its not like wet shrinking where the film has to be flat to lay up with no fingers

Archived