09 GTI

Guest forcefedm3

I did one of these today. Dry 'Bounce' shrink and left the bottom long to pull and heat. Work perfectly. Then used alot of elbow grease when steel-wooling the defroster lines, so no bananas would pop up, BUT the side of the window had some very small fingers after install, that got worse with heat. They got smaller by wouldn't go down all the way. The customer had to leave and he wasn't concerned with them, but I still am. Their about 1/8th long and there's about 3 to each side of the back window. Anyone have any suggestions as to how to rectify this? I don't think they'll get bigger, but... Thanks for any help.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I did one of these today. Dry 'Bounce' shrink and left the bottom long to pull and heat. Work perfectly. Then used alot of elbow grease when steel-wooling the defroster lines, so no bananas would pop up, BUT the side of the window had some very small fingers after install, that got worse with heat. They got smaller by wouldn't go down all the way. The customer had to leave and he wasn't concerned with them, but I still am. Their about 1/8th long and there's about 3 to each side of the back window. Anyone have any suggestions as to how to rectify this? I don't think they'll get bigger, but... Thanks for any help.

Sorry Everyone...........still trying to figure this board out.

Monique,

You can also leave the sides a little big before cutting to final size. Cut them straight up from the widest point at the bottom of the window, instead of following the angled shape of the window. As you shrink the top part of the window, pull up and out toward the edges a bit. This will help shrink out the sides a little better and you can get the pattern to lay out flat before making your final cut. I've used this trick for years on a lot of different cars. Helps on the bottom sides of newer Vette's too. Hope this helps you out a bit.

On the sides of the windows, leave them long and burn the exposed edges, and then cut your final pattern. :boogie

Guest trudy1234

yeah I use soap.and lather it well on back window,dry the soap with heat gun till its dry.then I put my anchor line on window.place my film.and leave it longer at bottom corners,and the lift and pull method is the best no creases.just great job. :lol2:lol2 :

I am new to tinting and have done about 12-15 back glass's before the last time I messed one up.

Now I have this Golf GTI that is KICKING MY ASS!!

Using the dry/soap, QDP. I guess when it comes back this tuesday I will use some of the tips mentioned here. I have never done the "pull" method so it should be interesting! I will post some pics.

Guest naughtydog

don't overlap the matrix too much at the sides and anchor half in the matrix and half in the clear glass, tape the sides down, I soap it then wet it at the bottom, qdp loves the lift and pull.

it will kick your arse, just be prepared to redo it a few times.

when you lift the film you will see a line form in the film, aim your heat in that area and you will see the film change state, keep it flowing and you will get the corners down then which is the hard part.

Archived