The spec sheet said 99% uv rejection, and I understand that fading of materials comes from a number of factors, but the uv is the #1 factor

#1 factor, but still only 40% of fading comes from UV. So 60% from other things...

-R

which company sell 2 mill clear?

Madico CLS200...claims to have 99%UV protection. Used to be called CL200, but they added a UV inhibitor and call it CLS now.

http://www.madico.com/WindowFilms/Arch_Specs.asp

I dont think they make CL200 anymore. I use it to put on doors at a customers house that has dogs OR on commercial doors to help protect the film.

4 mil 2 ply - rare product, like 7 mil 2 ply. Manufacturer's save money - installers tooo. But multiply film much stringer than one ply.

As far as I know 2 ply is MAINLY used like UV film. I know man who installed it in many castles in SCotland against fading.

I don't remeber MFG - but some of them called it MUSEUM FILM - as very popular for installation there against fading.

Anycase it also work like ANY window film against splinters and other things when glass is broken....

But for price reason - seems very close to 4 mil lol2.gif

Leo, what is your experience in regards to installing clear uv film to prevent fading? does it really work? :dunno

We had 8 mil clear, bekeart at the time on our second shop, which also did electronics. We had a slat board wall with all different kits and harnesses, price tags, etc....The spec sheet said 99% uv rejection, and I understand that fading of materials comes from a number of factors, but the uv is the #1 factor, and our packages faded out to the point where people would ask how old the stuff was. Then we couldn't use the uv inhibitor as a selling point because people would look around and see our faded product....I have real doubts about clear film and the specs the manu's claim :bingo

yes they say UV is #1 factor, but in my own opinion has to deal with the amount of sunlight coming in, adding at least some color would reduce the changes and delay the time of interiors fading.

Guest acetinter

moslty uv rays, visible light, heat , and time cause fading. I have seen several pie charts all with slightly diff numbers. the film is good for uv reduction. you can also tell the cutomer 18% heat reduction not much but still some thing, safety from shattering glass, and very slight heat loss reduction but still some improvent. I have had a customer that wanted uv protection and no reduction in light. had to have uv film, these jobs dont come around often,"for me any way" most of the time customer is happy with a nano film

hey Jim, if you would get out from behind your computer posting rediculous posts, you would find that out there in the commercial world, big retail companies use it all the time. Its safety UV film to them...

If you need any other pointers, let me know..

you ever sell that ladder?? HA! :lol

2 mil "safety" film should only be used to block UV (won't stop fading as reported earlier; but slow down 40% of the fading) and for posters, etc. It's only called "safety" because it uses thicker adhesive. But the polyester is not thick enough/ strong enough.

Be very careful how you market that to a customer. I had one customer that put up safety film talking about the UV protection. They live on the equator and get direct sun exposure all day. So when her interior furnishings faded, customer got upset & wanted to be paid for damages. That's when the picture with "Causes of Fading" works well to educate the end consumers (before the install!) After that the customer finally read the product literature I kept sending her...all that silly, boring technical stuff.

2 mil clear film doesn't pass safety tests so it might give people a false sense of security. If you are looking to make glass safer, start with 4mil and move on up to thicker films.

If you want UV clear protection, we also have a 2 mil clear film to help you out.

Good luck.

Archived