Traveling the Deep Southern States

Guest ronbond1955

Guest ronbond1955

Next month I will need to travel from Colorado/New Mexico to Florida. I know Georgia and Tennessee apply their tint law to non-resident cars. The states I will go through will be TX, LA, MS, AL, GA, FL and TN. My vehicle is a passenger car with 5% tint on the rear and rear side windows. The front side windows are 15% and I have a tint strip on the windshield that comes down 10 inches and is 5% VLT.

Now the questions:

1. On TN and GA, how much problems would I expect. Their law applies to out of state vehicles but in everyday practice, do they hassle out of state people for dark tint or usually look the other way ?

2. How is Florida since they are known for dark tinting. what is their common practice ?

3. What about LA, MS and AL ? Are out of staters left alone on dark tint. I need to know especially on LA since their law is very strict on darkness.

4. Lastly, what about TX ?

I will have to travel from Denver to Indianapolis first and I know about the states between those points. Afterward, down to Orlando then to New Mexico. I know Indiana's tint law applies to non-residents but never had problems there over the years.

Depends on the mood of the State Troopers here in Texas, if you get pulled over for another violation, you are in deep doo-doo.

Plus, having the out of state plates would not help you, either.

With the dark on the back windows, they could make up an excuse to pull you over.

Archived