Warning about wrapping edges in salty areas

It was a nice day out today so stopped over and did some work on my dads car. It's a 2005 and has only had a wrapped hood on for 2 years. I had an Xpel no wrap pattern with old 3M on it that I replaced with bulk Venture Ultra and wrapped edged....which has faded and stained already. After only 2 years, it's got rust bubbles on parts of the lower hood. I popped the hood and looked at the film, sure enough it there was moisture under the film that was hanging off on the inside.

If anybody has seen anything this, let me know. I'm seriously considering stopping wrapped hoods unless the car is summer only. The way people are these days, I could see getting sued if it happened to the wrong person.

I'll see if I can get some pics up by the end of the week.

can you get a pic of the door also? I can barely see the rust marks on that pic do you have another? Have you talked with any of the distributors about this yet? I've been thinking about this issue all day and only thing that I can think of is maybe the paint is flawed or wasn't cured? Im just guessing now obviously

There's no rust marks because it's no through yet, just the bubbled paint at the very beginning phase. The doors have no film on them so I'm not sure why you want a picture of that. I'll see if I can pop the hood and get to where the film wraps under...I haven't even done that yet.

Film is Venture so I'm pretty sure I wouldn't even get a reply. I've sent a couple complaints before to them and I might as well talk to a wall.

If I understand you correctly, you are saying that the film lifted and got moisture trapped underneath, right?

That's it. Where the film is wrapped behind, it lifted up and must have been trapping moisture for a few years. Add in the salt spray from winter = rust. They decided to keep it for another 5 years and buy another Benz. I was hoping they would have just traded it and the dealer wouldn't have noticed. Now I've got to repaint it.

If I understand you correctly, you are saying that the film lifted and got moisture trapped underneath, right?

That's it. Where the film is wrapped behind, it lifted up and must have been trapping moisture for a few years. Add in the salt spray from winter = rust. They decided to keep it for another 5 years and buy another Benz. I was hoping they would have just traded it and the dealer wouldn't have noticed. Now I've got to repaint it.

As much as I hate wrapping edges, it looks pretty darn good when you are finished. Try using some surface prep (works on all brands of film) to make sure it stays down, as it it increases the tack about 300%.

Archived