How much tint is enough?

Guest Scottsfire

Guest Scottsfire

I understand there are MANY and will be, many variables to the answer of this questions. So with that being said, how many cars are in a box of 50' tint or 100' tint.

Is there a "general" industry rule of thumb on this? If so what is it? How many vehicles do you get out of a 50' or 100' roll?

Thanks,

Scotty V.

Guest SIR TINTSALOT

On average, most 4 door cars will use 7 feet for a rear section. 4' for the back glass and 3' for the doors. That is if you get 40" rolls and split it for the doors. You usually can use the left over section from the back glass for the quarters. So based on this, if you don't waste film you can usually get about 14 rear sections out of a 100' 40" roll of film.

Well if you think about it, usually when you get a sample roll @ 36" wide and ten feet in length, then its enough to do an average 4 door care.

Hence roll is 30 sqare feet, so it takes an average of 30 sqare feet to do an average 4 door car.

so if you have a tint Order come in , then you know that your not going to use only the same 36" roll for till its out , so say if you order 3-36"x100' rolls and 3-20"x100' rolls , ... then do the math...3ftx100= 300 sqf per roll (36") now 3x300sf=900sqf, now for the 20" rolls......20"divided by 12"=1.6 ft..then 1.6 ftx 100= 160 sqf per 20"x100' roll... now 160 sqf x 3=480 sqf

now the final judgment= 900sqf (36"rolls) + 480sqf (20" roll)= 1380 sq ft

so if 30 sqf can do a car, then (1380 sqf divided by 30 sqf per car= 46 cars

so in a nutshell if you order 3-36"x100ft rolls and 3-20"x 100ft rolls, then you have enough to do 46 cars.

Hope that makes sense

Generally speaking, each side takes 5' of film, and the back window is another 5'

So, you are pulling 5 feet off the roll, splitting it down the middle and doing the sides. 5 for the back window, so you are pulling 10' off the roll for each car.

10 cars per roll, if you do not have to do a window a second time.

I like this thread. On a related note:

Because of the variability in vehicle glass sizes, you might want to also look at it in terms of how much of the roll is going onto the glass and how much gets leftover (setting aside the fact that some of you are very careful about maintaining/saving scraps). If 100% of the roll gets used (impossible - I know) your cost would be the lowest. The object is to come as close as you can.

My customers tell me over and over that 38/22 splits yield the highest percentage of the roll going on the glass and the least amount left over.

http://www.filmnow.com/MACRO_FILES/origina...ELL%20SHEET.pdf

-Howard

Edited by TintDude
url

I usually get about 1 car out of a roll of 40x100 and alot of scraps and *!#@ words :dunno But I would say even for someone learning you can get about 6-7 cars depending on how many back windows you screw up :dunno

Edited by DGr33n