New From Solar Gard

my point is....when I order a 35 or 20, I want it to be a 35 or 20 'out of the box,' not after installation. I order ATR20....the shiat's a 26 out of the box. it doesn't even meter 20 after installation. :twocents so why call it that.

Its our job to drive ya nuts :gasp:beer

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest vclimber
my point is....when I order a 35 or 20, I want it to be a 35 or 20 'out of the box,' not after installation. I order ATR20....the shiat's a 26 out of the box. it doesn't even meter 20 after installation. :twocents so why call it that.

Some MFG's report 44% TSER when it is really 36%. Taking a little liberty on the vlt, it's all about being consistent. :gasp

Some MFG's report 44% TSER when it is really 36%. Taking a little liberty on the vlt, it's all about being consistent. :gasp

As long as our TSER and VLR are on point I'm a happy camper :beer

Its our job to drive ya nuts :gasp:beer

sometimes it works out great. like the F1 Comfort 30 that I order...it's a 28 out of the box. perfect :lol

I sure wish manufacturers would just calls the films what they are. if it's a 39 VLT then call it a fuggin' 39. :gay don't call it a 35 figuring that's what it's gonna be after installation. let us take care of that shiat. just call it what it is....geeez :lol2

You're right. It just creates confusion in the market.

Generally speaking, the folks in marketing like to round off the numbers to fit traditional VLT benchmarks. The nerds in the lab prefer it call it what it actually is. Industry tolerances of +/- 3% on the VLT provide the wiggle room for one side to win over the other on different occasions.

As you elude to: The key is to know how the film you use actually meters out and what the net transmission will be (ballpark) for the vehicles you typically see in your shop. It's a good idea for professional shops to have access to a light meter.

-Howard

Guest Tint Legend
I sure wish manufacturers would just calls the films what they are. if it's a 39 VLT then call it a fuggin' 39. :gay don't call it a 35 figuring that's what it's gonna be after installation. let us take care of that shiat. just call it what it is....geeez :spit

As you elude to: The key is to know how the film you use actually meters out and what the net transmission will be (ballpark) for the vehicles you typically see in your shop. It's a good idea for professional shops to have access to a light meter.

-Howard

I thought I remember a thread about the light meters not being real accurate something about new york or something, sorry I cant find the thread. What happens if the manufacturers send it out with the "industry standard" of +/- 2 or 3% and the light meter is off 2 or 3% so its off 6%. How can one explain that to an officer or court system? Im having a hard time trying to make this question make sense but I hope it does. :lol2

I thought I remember a thread about the light meters not being real accurate something about new york or something, sorry I cant find the thread. What happens if the manufacturers send it out with the "industry standard" of +/- 2 or 3% and the light meter is off 2 or 3% so its off 6%. How can one explain that to an officer or court system? Im having a hard time trying to make this question make sense but I hope it does. :lol

Your question makes perfect sense.

Those tolerances are facts of life in our industry. Does anyone think that courts, the judges and the entire legal system are calibrated any better than a roll of film and a tint meter? Fuhgetaboutit !!!! (As we used to say in Brooklyn). Going to court is very much like sitting down at a craps table.

So what should you do? If you have concerns and want to be legal, explain everything to the customer, tint conservatively and meter the windows as part of your delivery checklist.

Everyone have a great weekend.

-Howard

Guest Tint Legend
I thought I remember a thread about the light meters not being real accurate something about new york or something, sorry I cant find the thread. What happens if the manufacturers send it out with the "industry standard" of +/- 2 or 3% and the light meter is off 2 or 3% so its off 6%. How can one explain that to an officer or court system? Im having a hard time trying to make this question make sense but I hope it does. :spit

Your question makes perfect sense.

Those tolerances are facts of life in our industry. Does anyone think that courts, the judges and the entire legal system are calibrated any better than a roll of film and a tint meter? Fuhgetaboutit !!!! (As we used to say in Brooklyn). Going to court is very much like sitting down at a craps table.

So what should you do? If you have concerns and want to be legal, explain everything to the customer, tint conservatively and meter the windows as part of your delivery checklist.

Everyone have a great weekend.

-Howard

Thanks you too :spit

*This is not a Bekaert Specialty Films press release, this is just me letting everyone know about a new film*

Just wanted to share the official release of the Solar Gard Galaxie line of automotive film.

Some of the key features...

1.5 Mil thick for ease of installation

Fast shrinking film

Signal friendly

Excellent clarity

Warranted against excessive fading and color change

Amazing scratch resistant coating

Available in 5% / 20% / 35% / 50% VLTs

I have sampled this film myself and can say that for those who prefer a thicker film you will like this product, scratch coat is insanely tough and it shrinks fast. The color is probably my favorite feature on this film, it has a very black/grey tone to it. I'll wait for installer input but I'm expecting a positive response from how it matches on the most common factory privacy glass.

This film is not replacing anything in our product lineup, just a great addition for those seeking a signal friendly, color stable 1.5mil thick film with a great warranty and support.

*Official release is today, contact your local sales rep or service center for pricing and information on this film. Remember to be patient this is the kick off day, it might take a moment to get samples rolling to all who inquire* :nope

No 70%? :nope.....seems like it's becoming more common in the states with the large population.

Archived