Tell me if I'm crazy

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I do a LOT of cars with it(all the ones I do) and have never had any random fingers popping up anywhere before. maybe user error :drevil

Don't act like you're the god of tint!

Plain and simple, this film needs more touch up, special slip, etc than ANYTHING I've ever used! Until my customers come on here trying to track me down, like they did you, you need to keep your opinions to yourself and worry about your own quality...

So I finally got to use a good portion off this last roll I got. This one has the smell I am used to when I unrolled it, and it shrank and laid down like the previous rolls. I'm not sure what this 2nd to last roll I got and sent back was but it wasn't the true black that I am used to. Something else odd about it is that it was on a red core instead of white. They said it was because they ran out of white ones, but really, whatever that was, it didn't feel at all like the TB I have been using.

I do a LOT of cars with it(all the ones I do) and have never had any random fingers popping up anywhere before. maybe user error :drevil

Maybe you can't see them from 4 feet away. :hmmm

:hmmm:lol2

This film sounds like all the problems I had when I tried to switch to global, hated that film..........Hard to beat suntek when it comes to installation, just be nice if the hard coat was stronger :lol2 but I've learned how to not scratch it so it's really not an issue much anymore these days.

Well, I'm here to tell ya that I am gonna keep tryin with this film because Howard is such a "stand up" guy. But I will say that after we called it quits on the Genesis, we came back today and knocked out the window in no time using the other brand of film.

So I don't know what to think :drevil

Guest accurate
we came back today and knocked out the window in no time using the other brand of film.

So I don't know what to think :hmmm

You know what to think................... :drevil

None of you are crazy and every word of feedback you have to offer on this product is more than welcome. Please keep it coming.

This product is constructed differently than all of the films that have preceded it. For decades, there were only two options for putting the color into the film. You could do the traditional dip dye (Llumar/Global) or you could incorporate the color into the adhesive (either the mounting adhesive of the laminating adhesive).

Along comes this film where the color is impregnated into the chips prior to extrusion. It's completely different. But based on the sales of this product and the number of experienced dealers that have switched over to it, I believe that this type of construction is not only viable, but here to stay.

Just as there is a learning curve on the part of you (the installers) there is a probably learning curve at the various plants that are producing the components that go into this film. I have not been made aware of any intentional changes. If I were, I would break their fingers. Any inconsistencies you may be observing are inadvertent, not intentional.

No significant changes can be attributed to the smell. I have smelt (and read threads about) the exact same odor coming from rolls of Global as well as other brands within the last 12-18 months. I honestly do not know what causes it, but given the list of ingredients all these films have in common, I have concluded that some chemical vendor serving a significant portion of our industry as a whole made some sort of change that customers are picking up on. Everyone I have spoken with on the manufacturing side of several plants has acknowledged that they can smell it and assures me that there are no other adverse consequences. They have given me no reason in the past to doubt them.

We log every single complaint, blog entry and Tintdude post. We share it all with the raw material vendors and machine operators. Some changes are anticipated, but we need to be very careful not to change the product in such a way that it would impact those who do like it.

Most importantly: If you are ever dissatisfied with anything you buy here we will send you a pickup tag the same day and cheerfully accept the roll back for a credit or a swap. Nobody will ever get stuck with a roll of Express Film.

When you make a very significant and fundamental change, it takes time before it catches on. This is the essence of progress. The familiar dip-dyed films are the gold standard, but they are also the most expensive. At the other end of the spectrum are the glue type films which many of you do not care for.

True Black is a game-changing product. For those of you that only want the best of the best and are willing to pay for it, films like Global and Llumar are the way to go. But if you are looking for a great deal on a product that comes close, True Black is hard to beat.

There is always a period of resistance, adjustment and refinement that comes along when you make such a fundamental change. But as the saying goes "You can't stop progress". This is a terrific film that is making a lot of our customers very happy while saving them a lot of money. I promise you that I will continue to work with the technical folks to monitor and improve this product.

That's what you expect and deserve. BTW: True Black is only one film in our complete lineup!

I listen.

Respectfully,

Howard

So I finally got to use a good portion off this last roll I got. This one has the smell I am used to when I unrolled it, and it shrank and laid down like the previous rolls. I'm not sure what this 2nd to last roll I got and sent back was but it wasn't the true black that I am used to. Something else odd about it is that it was on a red core instead of white. They said it was because they ran out of white ones, but really, whatever that was, it didn't feel at all like the TB I have been using.

This is exactly what any of you can expect if you are ever unhappy with a roll of our film. We will send you a pickup tag the same day and take it back for a swap or a credit. Nobody will ever get stuck with anything they buy from me.

-Howard

Your not crazy, I am not a fan of True black at all and Ive used a bunch of it. I dont understand why a film has to have a "special formula" to put it on and if it does need that "special formula" then why does it need to be asked for when ordered. I agree with everyone here that Howard is a stand up guy and I think that why the film continues to sale.

The Slip-Tack is recommended, not mandatory. The majors are now advocating the use of professional mounting solutions. The difference is that we will give it to you for free as a token of our appreciation for your business.

We do not include it for free as it adds to the weight (& cost) of the shipment. It's also expensive for us to formulate and package. There is no sense in shipping it to a customer that is going to discard it.

-Howard

Archived