Tell me if I'm crazy

I noticed a lot more static on the true black I just got in compared to my first order a few months back. I havent used the new stuff on any hard to shrink windows just side windows and a toyota hiace van rear screen which does need shrinking but its not a hard one at all.

the static does suck a little cause it may attract dust.

and I noticed with TB 15 the splotchyness throughout the film , not being consistant colour, howard assures me an average customer wont pick it up and its jsut cause I go over the job with fine tooth comb but its a bit worrying cause I dont get it with other films like suntek or johnsons.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As stereotypical as this may sound, after seeing the price list for Express Films, that was enough to convince me NOT to use it. Its kinda like the saying, cheap isnt good, and good isnt cheap.

Ive heard more negative things (save for Howard and customer service) about Express films on three different forums than any other film. Im just sayin...

Guest scottydosnntkno
As stereotypical as this may sound, after seeing the price list for Express Films, that was enough to convince me NOT to use it. Its kinda like the saying, cheap isnt good, and good isnt cheap.

Ive heard more negative things (save for Howard and customer service) about Express films on three different forums than any other film. Im just sayin...

have you read about 3m on here :dunno

and if the little color splotchiness is really that big of a deal, use TS. it doesn't have it, and is an identical film.

Guest scottydosnntkno
Identical film? Ha! Not hardly...

identical as in the way it works. It has more brown hues to it(at least to me). And obviously different technology behind it.

But if you like working with TB, then TS works exactly the same, only with a little stronger glue.

Guest Mo Evo

I had an issue 'pop' up today. Never had this happen before. Tinted a new Charger in TB5%...it shrunk nicely and I went over the defroster grid, matrix dots and lines at the top with 000 steel wool. After I squeegeed it down I noticed 2 small 1/4 inch tall fingers come up on the bottom edge at the dots. I used slip tack and there were no issues with peanuts. So I used a little heat to push them down with my hard card. Na uh, still there. A little more heat made the small fingers very pointy and a little longer and they still wouldn't go down. I called EWF and Howard told me to leave it till I'm done with the other glass and let the car dry outside in the 80 degree sun. An hour and a half later, they went down, sort of all the way, with just a very small pointed edge on the dots. Overall the car looks great and the customer was very pleased. I'm just hoping this was an isolated thing. I like the look of the film and it's ok to work with, for the most part, but I'm longing for a film like my old Madico No-problem Charcool film. I can't justify the cost of Charcool, but is there another film out there that looks and works like it without the astronomical price? Thanks in advance..

Yesterday we tried to tint a Genesis Coupe in TB 35. All went great until the rear glass. Josh tinted it 3 times and creased it every time. I tried 3 times and creased it 3 times. At 8;30 pm we finally packed it in and decided to return to the dealership this morning to finish the car in Suntek STD Pro 35.

It has been 15 or 20 years since I have tinted a rear glass more than 2wice. I have experimented with different amounts of SlipTac too. I like the way TB hides stuff, but creasing the film on a back window as easy peasy as the Genesis has me really frustrated and concerned. I was just thinking about placing a big order too but, with all the input from this post on here I'm rethinking my decision.

As always, Howard's service is the "bomb". Wish he ran one of the other Manufactures.

I had an issue 'pop' up today. Never had this happen before. Tinted a new Charger in TB5%...it shrunk nicely and I went over the defroster grid, matrix dots and lines at the top with 000 steel wool. After I squeegeed it down I noticed 2 small 1/4 inch tall fingers come up on the bottom edge at the dots. I used slip tack and there were no issues with peanuts. So I used a little heat to push them down with my hard card. Na uh, still there. A little more heat made the small fingers very pointy and a little longer and they still wouldn't go down. I called EWF and Howard told me to leave it till I'm done with the other glass and let the car dry outside in the 80 degree sun. An hour and a half later, they went down, sort of all the way, with just a very small pointed edge on the dots. Overall the car looks great and the customer was very pleased. I'm just hoping this was an isolated thing. I like the look of the film and it's ok to work with, for the most part, but I'm longing for a film like my old Madico No-problem Charcool film. I can't justify the cost of Charcool, but is there another film out there that looks and works like it without the astronomical price? Thanks in advance..

Monique, I had the same problem with a 08 Impala. There were 2-3 quarter inche fingers at the bottom of the back glass. I let it dry for 1.5 hours hit it again and the 5-6 fingers popped up!! I tried bulldozer, blumax, shuttle, teflon nothin worked. Also, I didn't metion the 3 fingers that came down from the BOTTOM of the top matrix. Iv NEVER had this problem. I even heat them from the inside(dangerouse) and they went down for 2 minutes. If your looking for a film that looks good and the intall is an ease, give Suntek a call, you won't be sorry. When I first started doing back glass's with it, theres was literally zero follow up needed after installing a back glass. If True black had no problems it would be much more expensive...you get what you paid for.

Yesterday we tried to tint a Genesis Coupe in TB 35. All went great until the rear glass. Josh tinted it 3 times and creased it every time. I tried 3 times and creased it 3 times. At 8;30 pm we finally packed it in and decided to return to the dealership this morning to finish the car in Suntek STD Pro 35.

It has been 15 or 20 years since I have tinted a rear glass more than 2wice. I have experimented with different amounts of SlipTac too. I like the way TB hides stuff, but creasing the film on a back window as easy peasy as the Genesis has me really frustrated and concerned. I was just thinking about placing a big order too but, with all the input from this post on here I'm rethinking my decision.

As always, Howard's service is the "bomb". Wish he ran one of the other Manufactures.

Exactly what I was thinking yesterday. I need film, but after reading all these commnets makes me think otherwise.

Guest scottydosnntkno

Exactly what I was thinking yesterday. I need film, but after reading all these commnets makes me think otherwise.

You just need to get used to working with it.

I do a LOT of cars with it(all the ones I do) and have never had any random fingers popping up anywhere before. maybe user error :drevil

Archived