1984 Corvette

pbalentine

I read other tips on this vette and it seems alot of you guys perfer to 3 piece it. I would like to do a one piece, but I think i would have to remove the shocks and don't want to, since it so old. Can anyone tell me where exaclty you trim for the 3 piece and if i did do it in 1 piece, how would I anchor it and whould it be a dry shrink or wet shrink. Thanks guys

Oh yea forgot to mention, Ive never done any vette... :lol2

this is not a fun one, but it can be done one piece... I would do it in 3 pieces.. faster, much faster and will look better. i would splice the pieces in on the first or the second defrosted that go up and down. ( they do go up and down if i remember correctly)

go around the shocks mounts,, if you don't. i don't care how good you are. the shocks will pull the film and then it will look like cr**p and will have to trim more or redo...

vett.jpg

i'd 3 piece it too. much easier,and if you mess up one of the 2 sides you can redo them without wasting a whole piece of film. i start with 36 or 40 inch film large enough to cover all the defrosterlines with about an inch or 2 extra on both side. for the side piece's it's best to turn your film sideways anchor it in the curve and shrink towards the defroster lines and down towards the side edges. once all 3 pieces are shrunk cut across both your defroter lines where you overlapped the pieces of film. cut the 2 outter piece's alittle larger then you need to this will insure that you have enough film for your overlapp. I do remover the shocks on these cars but you may want to install the center piece then use a prop stick to hold up the window while you are doing the 2 outter piece's. do be careful not to over tighten the shocks when you reinstallthem you may twist the film if you are not careful. best of luck to you with this BG. Hope i could be of help.

this is not a fun one, but it can be done one piece... I would do it in 3 pieces.. faster, much faster and will look better. i would splice the pieces in on the first or the second defrosted that go up and down. ( they do go up and down if i remember correctly)

go around the shocks mounts,, if you don't. i don't care how good you are. the shocks will pull the film and then it will look like cr**p and will have to trim more or redo...

vett.jpg

So do I install the middle piece first, then intall the sides? Also, do I want to stop short of squeegeeing at the defroster line, trim along the defroster line, then pull excess film out and squeegee the rest?

Thanks for the help, Im gonna need it!

:dunno

vett.jpg

So do I install the middle piece first, then intall the sides? Also, do I want to stop short of squeegeeing at the defroster line, trim along the defroster line, then pull excess film out and squeegee the rest?

:blink:

correct, you might even want to do your doors and let the 2 outter piece's dry for a bit before putting the shock's back on. door are easy BTW :dunno

vett.jpg

:blink:

correct, you might even want to do your doors and let the 2 outter piece's dry for a bit before putting the shock's back on. door are easy BTW :dunno

Im just a little confused on the part of precutting along defrosters on the oustide. Do I basically trim the middle section so its an inch or two larger and do the same for the sides pieces? Thanks again, this is gonna help out alot.

when you go to shrink the middle piece leave it long, but only by and inch or 2. then when you do the outter piece's overlap the same defroster lines the other way by an inch or 2. This way you can cut through both pices of film at the same just follow the defroster line, and both piece's will match making it easier to have the invisible seam. Do this with both side, so that in the end you are left with 3 piece's of film.

I have probably tinted 100 or more C4 vetts. I always pulled the shocks off first, filmed in 3 pcs.one side first then the middle, seamed on the first defroster line. Cut the overlap. Repeat on the other side. Film the doors then go back and cut the holes for the struts

Guest GreenCove

leave it out in the sun for a while afterwards so you can go over your seam lines real good... and you will prob. have some pnuts on the defrost lines also

Archived