Clean Cut Box Slitter

I got to use the system while making the video and really liked it. One of the best features for me was the light weight and being able to take the box out of the holder and use the ladder on a window if you wanted.I don't know who is selling them but ProToolsNow.com has a list of distributors.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

looks like a good idea to me. I like the fact it has a tray to put the box in.

The very first shop I worked at we had a box slitter. It was the simplest thing I've ever seen and can't find them anymore.

It just clipped to the box kind like a tape measure would clip to something. And it held a single inch razor. You just set it along the box were you wanted to slit and pull.

Does anyone know where I can find one of these type slittler again? :blink:

I like the concept of the CCBS. It keeps the box intact and off the floor when used as in the new video. The added ladder holder is a great improvement!

I've used the "Knife though the side of the box" slitter since I started installing in '96 mostly because it was easy and "free". Measure / Stab / Pull

The two biggest downfalls of the knife through box method are that film will be too close to the floor and the contamination that can show up due to static increases.

And if you want to be "exact" you can't stab less than 1/16" from your original stab or the blade will wobble. This trains you to be better at guessing better the first time though!

I got to use the system while making the video and really liked it. One of the best features for me was the light weight and being able to take the box out of the holder and use the ladder on a window if you wanted.

I don't know who is selling them but ProToolsNow.com has a list of distributors.

We sell them at Zola Distributing Stan and I agree with you that it is a great tool. It is much more portable than a Film Handler because you can transport it in the box of film that you will be using. It is also less expensive even if you buy all 4 lengths that are available. This is a really good, economical choice for someone that wants a film slitting tool, but does not want to spend over $700.00 for a Filmhandler.

For those interested, you can check it out on our site here:

Film Slitter Page on Zola Tools

looks like a good idea to me. I like the fact it has a tray to put the box in.

The very first shop I worked at we had a box slitter. It was the simplest thing I've ever seen and can't find them anymore.

It just clipped to the box kind like a tape measure would clip to something. And it held a single inch razor. You just set it along the box were you wanted to slit and pull.

Does anyone know where I can find one of these type slittler again? :blink:

I know what you are talking about, but I do not know anyone that sells that unit any longer. We sell a channel that can clip to the box, but it holds a 13pt blade like you use in your knife.

www.44tools.com has a box mounted film slitter under their 'Film Cutting Devices'... sound like it is similar to what you C2C was asking for :blink:

That is the same one that we carry TTS. This was the one that I mentioned to C2C that uses a 13pt blade. He was mentioning something that used a 1" single edge razor blade. That unit is no longer available.

The one that Zola Distributing and others carry is a U-channel piece of machined aluminum with a locking nut to tighten it to the box or the alloy channel that is designed to be used with it. Many people just put the film box inside the top and tighten the U-channel down to the double layer cardboard instead of using the channel though. You can check it out at the link below. I have provided both links to our company and 44tools as TTS mentioned their offering in the post above.

Zola Tools Box Mounted Blade Holder

44Tools Box Mounted Film Slitter

www.44tools.com has a box mounted film slitter under their 'Film Cutting Devices'... sound like it is similar to what you C2C was asking for :blink:

That is the same one that we carry TTS. This was the one that I mentioned to C2C that uses a 13pt blade. He was mentioning something that used a 1" single edge razor blade. That unit is no longer available.

The one that Zola Distributing and others carry is a U-channel piece of machined aluminum with a locking nut to tighten it to the box or the alloy channel that is designed to be used with it. Many people just put the film box inside the top and tighten the U-channel down to the double layer cardboard instead of using the channel though. You can check it out at the link below. I have provided both links to our company and 44tools as TTS mentioned their offering in the post above.

Zola Tools Box Mounted Blade Holder

44Tools Box Mounted Film Slitter

Sorry for the double post. I meant to add this to the post above, but screwed up.

Please let me know if you have any questions about this item. :spit

the magnetic cutter it nice but dang those r pricey. everything is way cheaper than a handler but id b pissed when my guys start losing those lil cutters

Your right VIP. Those cutter heads are expensive and can be lost if someone does not keep track of them. Most people just transport the slitter inside the film box they will be using, so there is not too much chance that the cutter head would be lost unless they intentionally took it out.

I think the biggest advantage of these cutters over the Filmhandler would be the ease of transport to and from the job site. You would need to buy one for each size if you did alot of flat glass, but it would still be cheaper than a 72" Film Handler.

Archived