Another Roll Up Technique Question

I have been mostly popping top of panels back and removing rubber gaskets and placing the whole piece of tint on the glass at once but find that after I put the gasket in, many times you can't get the panel back on properly without removing the whole darn thing so I watched some more youtube videos and see that many guys just tuck it with the gasket in. therefore I have just a few questions.

1) When I cut the pattern on the outside now, I cut the backside edge, and then I always pull the piece about 1/4" towards the back edge and then cut my front edge, roll window down and cut the top. Do you just cut front and back edge without moving the tint back slightly to create that little extra width?

2) Whenever I would tuck before, I think I made it difficult on myself by leaving bottom edge too long and I did not see anything in the videos about this, but when the pattern is on the outside, do you just use the rubber on the bottom as a guide and then slide film down just a hair before cutting the top or what?

Thanks for your help!

This post has been promoted to an article

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I have been mostly popping top of panels back and removing rubber gaskets and placing the whole piece of tint on the glass at once but find that after I put the gasket in, many times you can't get the panel back on properly without removing the whole darn thing so I watched some more youtube videos and see that many guys just tuck it with the gasket in. therefore I have just a few questions.

1) When I cut the pattern on the outside now, I cut the backside edge, and then I always pull the piece about 1/4" towards the back edge and then cut my front edge, roll window down and cut the top. Do you just cut front and back edge without moving the tint back slightly to create that little extra width?

You are doing it right, make a little extra.

2) Whenever I would tuck before, I think I made it difficult on myself by leaving bottom edge too long and I did not see anything in the videos about this, but when the pattern is on the outside, do you just use the rubber on the bottom as a guide and then slide film down just a hair before cutting the top or what?

Thanks for your help!

Since the inside dimension top to bottom is slightly smaller due to the curve, just using the bottom rubber as the guide on the outside will leave you enough to tuck.

Ok cool. I have to believe that doing the bottom edge like that does not work on every vehicle though because I've had some cars were the gasket on the inside of glass does not line up to the gasket on the outside though.

In addition, do most guys tuck on cars like the VW's?

sounds like you understand what you are doing you just need more practice at it. However there are very few cars I don't pull panel's on. You have to weight everything out.

Alot of time IMO it is less trouble to hang a piece without a DP on so I just pull them. The one's I usually leave on are DP's that are a pain to remove or if I am uncertain about how they come off. Or if it is a panel that normally's break's clips such as a bettle.

Best advice is just keep doing what you are doing and practice will make everything seem easier. :twocents

I guess my only complain is alot of the vehicles I have been doing is that in order to get the panel back on properly I end up having to remove the whole panel anyway. I am gonna try tucking on some of them and see how that goes. I just find it easier and get a cleaner install by slapping the whole piece of tint on the glass at once. I know everyone says do what works for you, just trying to find a more efficient way on some of these vehicles.

Archived