How that's TB working out for you?

There will always be a market for non-cs films. You may have a different opinion, and thats fine. But, regardless of what anyone thinks, there will always be a market.

I tinted over 1000 cars last year(granted, there were a lot of 2 fronts, but still), $5/car means $500/month more money in my pocket. If a customer understands that they are not getting a CS film, and are fine with that, then why shouldn't we install it? If they are only going by price, then it makes sense.

Around here, i'd say 70% or more of the vehicles I tint are leased. We are detroit, and there are auto employees everywhere, as well as many people related to the auto industry(my family) who lease vehicles rather than buy them. If the customer is only going to have the vehicle for 2-3 years, many of them have a hard time justifying the $15 for two fronts or $60/full car price difference to put a CS film on it when they aren't keeping the vehicle for that long. In that case, non-CS makes perfect sense.

So you save $5 a car, charge $60 less than if you used a CS film. It sounds like you are cutting your own throat by offering this option.

According to your math you would have an additional $5,500 in revenue each month. Lets say maybe 25% of those people walk due to the higher price, you are still up $4125 a month.

Now I know who I'm talking to here so I probably should have directed this post to a brick wall but I just had to throw it out there.

I'll never get why folks drop prices so much for a lower end film when all they are doing is killing their own margins, as you have pointed out the film cost is negligible. :dunno

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply
There will always be a market for non-cs films. You may have a different opinion, and thats fine. But, regardless of what anyone thinks, there will always be a market.

I tinted over 1000 cars last year(granted, there were a lot of 2 fronts, but still), $5/car means $500/month more money in my pocket. If a customer understands that they are not getting a CS film, and are fine with that, then why shouldn't we install it? If they are only going by price, then it makes sense.

Around here, i'd say 70% or more of the vehicles I tint are leased. We are detroit, and there are auto employees everywhere, as well as many people related to the auto industry(my family) who lease vehicles rather than buy them. If the customer is only going to have the vehicle for 2-3 years, many of them have a hard time justifying the $15 for two fronts or $60/full car price difference to put a CS film on it when they aren't keeping the vehicle for that long. In that case, non-CS makes perfect sense.

So you save $5 a car, charge $60 less than if you used a CS film. It sounds like you are cutting your own throat by offering this option.

According to your math you would have an additional $5,500 in revenue each month. Lets say maybe 25% of those people walk due to the higher price, you are still up $4125 a month.

Now I know who I'm talking to here so I probably should have directed this post to a brick wall but I just had to throw it out there.

I'll never get why folks drop prices so much for a lower end film when all they are doing is killing their own margins, as you have pointed out the film cost is negligible. :lol

Hi LTL,

He buys plenty of our CS as well (Classic 1.2) so he is prepared if the customer chooses that option and he will earn the extra profit.

You guys sell plenty of non-CS as well, no?

We are not in the business of telling customers how to operate, but the best strategy of all is the Good/Better/Best approach and you need multiple lines to do that. It's true that the price differential is small and the benefits are substantial. I agree with you there. Having multiple lines gives the dealer a chance to up-sell and earn an additional 30%-40% per car.

-Howard

Guest scottydosnntkno

LTL- I don't "drop" my prices for lower end film. My standard 4 door price is set with a non-CS film(TB) and then I upsell from there to higher end films. There is no "discount".

Hey guys, sorry just re read my post and it comes across a little rude and or blunt. I get caught away sometimes.

I'm not really a fan of the good / better / best approach, although I do support a Best / better / good approach. Is is very important to note the differences between the two. Starting high and working low is much easier than the opposite.

Also I notice in many markets how a shop is willing to kill their prices in what they believe is an attempt to build either volume or business but they aren't looking at the numbers accurately.

Say you charge $200 a car in a film that has an average cost per car of $25 you have $175 headed into the cash register before other costs are accounted for.

Perhaps you have a competitor or just want to market another segment so you seek a lower cost film. Perhaps you get your per vehicle cost down to $13 a car and charge $120 a car. You are have managed to save $12 a car in materials and taken an additional $68 out of your profit.

Not only have you made considerably less on this client you have also begun a process that could drive your average price down quickly.

Now every supplier offers a Non CS film, this is not an attack on True Black by any means. Its more of a wake up call to anyone who chases a dollar with these products (which my employer offers too).

I cannot stress how big of a proponent I am for going high end, for SELLING, offering options but starting high and then going low. The Man, who started this thread is a prime example of the success you can have by changing your perspective and eliminating those fears of "low ballers" and cheap clients who "just won't pay".

EWF offers CS and high end, this is not a push for my or my brand. Buy from Howard, he has great products I'm just suggesting you buy high end from Howard and make more money.

Have a great weekend everyone!

LTL- I don't "drop" my prices for lower end film. My standard 4 door price is set with a non-CS film(TB) and then I upsell from there to higher end films. There is no "discount".

That's what I thought. LTL had the math right, but he had the equation inverted.

-Howard

Hey guys, sorry just re read my post and it comes across a little rude and or blunt. I get caught away sometimes.

I'm not really a fan of the good / better / best approach, although I do support a Best / better / good approach. Is is very important to note the differences between the two. Starting high and working low is much easier than the opposite.

LTL,

Rude? You???? Never. But I don't get the inverted scheme you are pitching.

Prices are always advertised as "Starting at $99" (example). I don't recall ever seeing prices advertised as "Topping off at $99" and down (unless it is referring to a unit volume discount of some sort) which is not applicable to this situation.

Thanks for acknowledging that you guys sell plenty of non-CS. I knew it already, but I appreciate your statement.

Great weekend,

Howard

Also I notice in many markets how a shop is willing to kill their prices in what they believe is an attempt to build either volume or business but they aren't looking at the numbers accurately.

Say you charge $200 a car in a film that has an average cost per car of $25 you have $175 headed into the cash register before other costs are accounted for.

Perhaps you have a competitor or just want to market another segment so you seek a lower cost film. Perhaps you get your per vehicle cost down to $13 a car and charge $120 a car. You are have managed to save $12 a car in materials and taken an additional $68 out of your profit.

Not only have you made considerably less on this client you have also begun a process that could drive your average price down quickly.

Now every supplier offers a Non CS film, this is not an attack on True Black by any means. Its more of a wake up call to anyone who chases a dollar with these products (which my employer offers too).

I cannot stress how big of a proponent I am for going high end, for SELLING, offering options but starting high and then going low. The Man, who started this thread is a prime example of the success you can have by changing your perspective and eliminating those fears of "low ballers" and cheap clients who "just won't pay".

EWF offers CS and high end, this is not a push for my or my brand. Buy from Howard, he has great products I'm just suggesting you buy high end from Howard and make more money.

Have a great weekend everyone!

:thumb Plus, you might want to consider buying an American made film, because they supply jobs in this country, and if you haven't noticed, there aren't many of those to be had anymore.

So...140,000+ cars with previous centuries technology. With all the good, reasonably priced, American made CS films out there, don't you think this is a step BACKWARD for the industry? I certainly do. All for a price savings of maybe 3-5 bucks a car? Again, is this something the industry can be proud of, going back in time with low tech films? Got a bag phone I can buy? :lol

:money:lol2

Bad analogy, wrong advise, your poor customers...over pennies....

Usually, low end customers keep their cars FOREVER, while the higher end people turn over their cars often. If you think those low end types really don't care, wait a couple years, I bet you'll find they actually DO. I can't see the logic on having your name associated with crap in any way shape or form, and I never will.

Archived