Have metalized tint and notice interference?

Guest Pyrophor2001

Have metalized tint and notice interference?  

39 members have voted

1. 1. Have you noticed any cell, gps, xm or fm degradation after having metalized tint installed?

• Yes, very noticeable!
    • Yes, slightly noticeable.
    • No, never noticed.

I have used some QDP and my everyday film is HP....the look is not different enough to justify not getting the HP if you want the extra heat rejection.....

The only "signal" issue I have had was some guy had an aftermarket sat radio antenna in his rear deck and it caused some issue there...

also a bit of trouble with AM radio, but that was only a couple cars total.

So I was reading through this and I saw something about EMI and it made me wonder....... could the metalized films actually help protect cars from an EMP?? Seems really crazy and :DD like, but it is a real possibility that could wipe us out with all of the technology we depend on. What if the metalized films that cause interference could actually save your cars computer????

think of all the conspiracy theorists you could sell an R&R job with EMP reducing tint

We recently stripped film off an a4 after another shop told him that he has never experienced metalized film interference in his 25 years of experience. Guess what? His radio worked again after throwing some pinnacle on it. I had atr on a tahoe and it greatly reduced my range with keyless entry and also interefered with the radio.

Edited by F1windowtinting

One thing with the A4, mostly 2002-2005, they had a lot of issues with the antenae in the headliner cracking. They were notorious for having no radio reception. Mine had the mount for Sirius in the car, figured out why. I did a lot of searching and found a lot of comments about it. It is possible you pushed on the headliner in just the right spot to push it together. The problem was a thin plastic board they mounted part of it on that would break easy.

oh and don't forget interference with toll transponders

We recently stripped film off an a4 after another shop told him that he has never experienced metalized film interference in his 25 years of experience. Guess what? His radio worked again after throwing some pinnacle on it. I had atr on a tahoe and it greatly reduced my range with keyless entry and also interefered with the radio.

Hi F1,

Did the customer happen to mention the brand & type he had on there? Some of the metal hybrids on the market are sputtered - that could be a factor.

The good old fashioned vacuum aluminum films are OK in our experience.

-Howard

Just had llumar atr 50 metalized tint installed on my car. No issues so far with fm radio, cellphone reception, or smart key functions.  Car not equipped with factory navigation, but GPS on phone works fine in car.

Edited by ericmeadows
Sentence incorrect

54 minutes ago, ericmeadows said:

Just had llumar atr 50 metalized tint installed on my car. No issues so far with fm radio, cellphone reception, or smart key functions.  Car not equipped with factory navigation, but GPS on phone works fine in car.

ATR film won't cause issues on these.  Especially not with 50%! 

Generally when the interference was happening was with the glass that had the antenna mounted in with the defroster in rear window and being covered with the defroster at the same time, low voltage would give a hum causing interference from the metal films. Years ago we cut the film below the antenna and that is how we discovered it.