'92 Thunderbird

Guest CloudWalker

when you get to the bottom corners, squeegee from the outer corners towards the bottom centre..opposite what you'd normally do..have someone follow behind your squegee with a heatgun if nessesary :beer

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest CloudWalker

Man Td was right that fukin back glass is more than challenging its dam near impossible. I would love for someone to explain how the hell you do that back glass in one piece how do you get that shiit to lay down on the lower sides where that little bend is in the glass?? I have done 2 of these so far the 1st one was just a pain somehow I managed to get the back glass done in one but it looked horrible then the second one I just said screw it and did it in two but still had a time.

Guest FastBackJack

The trick to those is to "over mold" the bottom corners. Just mold and mold till you cant make any more fingers. Really make the tint "learn" the curve. When you squeege it out inside take the stress from the corners and bring it up to the sides. Start in the middle on the bottom and work toward the side and then up. It makes it go down real easy. There not that hard for me anymore, but I still hate em....charge up the ying yang for em. I personally take it past the dots at least 3/8 of an inch, so the tint has something to really adhere to. But then again its ford and the dots dont stick well anyway. You just have to prep them so they will. Take your knife and go over the dots really well (knock all the ford "rocks" off). Then scrub it with steel wool. After that they stick pretty well. Hope that helps CW. :)

one really easy way to shrink it (for me) is to pop off the side and bottom mouldings....(on the outside) and use dryer sheets with the anchor way up near the top...shrink the hell outta the lower corners, etc....then stick it as usual, then hop outside heat up hop inside stick a little, hop outside...heat up;.....etc.....I've only done one that way, and it was more of a pain than what it was worth...now, if ever I get one, I just do 2 piece with an OVERLAP seam ( don't laugh, it's really not funny, I hate those fuqin cars) and the seam goes on the bottom defrost line with the 3rd brake light cut out...doing it that way, I can get the back glass done in about 15-20 min. takes about 20-25 to do the sides, and the p.o.s. is outta my shop. just me, but no one will appreciate one of those in one piece except us tinters......just like the berettas of old.....who the flunk cares?? :)....JMO.

Guest darkdan

She better offer up a lot of sexual favors man.

I tried one in like July or August or something. I tried it three times and gave up and told my friend to go away and never come back.

Really makes me respect the guy I paid $175 to tint my 1993 TBird back when I was 16. One pieced it and I never appreciated it until I read this thread and tried to do one myself. So far it's the only car I haven't been able to complete.

However, I'm trying to convince this other guy to drive here and let me practice on his car. I think after 6 months I might be able to get it.

Archived