Help With Security Film/Install in New Home (Los Angeles)

Guest kniksefat

Guest kniksefat

Hi Everyone -

About to close on a home in Palos Verdes (just south of LA) and need some recommendations on window film and installers. The house was build in 1951 and sits atop a large hill. It has a lot of windows and glass pain doors. View is great and the light is great.

The windows are the original steel casement windows. The glass in the windows does not appear to have tempered glass. Obviously, non tempered glass is nto good, especially when it breaks. I would like increase their overall safety profile without having the windows or glass replaced at this time. I would also like to increase the overall security of all the windows and doors so someone cant just break the glass and let themselves in.

It seems like having a high quality, security window film installed can solve both of these issues for me. I wanted to reach out to the experts and see what products you recommend and if anyone can recommend a local installer who does high quality work.

From a product standpoint, besides increasing the safety and security of the house I am very interested in having a clear film with limited haze. I do not want to change the overall light profile of the house and would like the film to be as "invisible" as possible.

Any help is much appreciated!

Thanks,

Kave

I would advise you to look for a company that has experience with attachment systems. You may want to consider a film as thick as 8 mil. This will give you significant protection if used along with a good attachment. If clarity is important, I would advise you to stay away from the Ultra hazy security films offered by 3M. We are on the east coast but I'm sure there is a qualified installer on this board that will be happy to help you out there.

Guest kniksefat

Thanks for the info guys. Can you guys explain the attachment systems?

Also, can anyone ballpark the costs for me? I am putting together a budget and prioritizing my to-do's. Maybe something like an average install (labor) cost for a double window, average attachment cost per linear foot, and average film cost per square foot assuming higher end materials? I will get some official estimates when we close.

Very much appreciated.

There are to many variables to "ballpark" any realistic numbers. The attachment cost can vary depending on what type is best suited for your application. Give this forum a little while and someone here will lead you in the right direction.

Guest tint whisperer

how thick is the glass? 1/8" ? is it the original glass? it might be pretty brittle and easy to break if you try to go to too thick of a film :dunno

Guest kniksefat

I am going to stop by the property this PM and re-assess. the glass. My initial feeling is that it is mostly (if not all) original and it is 1/8" thick. Will keep you posted. Thanks for the help.

Larry - Thanks for the rec's.

I am going to stop by the property this PM and re-assess. the glass. My initial feeling is that it is mostly (if not all) original and it is 1/8" thick. Will keep you posted. Thanks for the help.

Larry - Thanks for the rec's.

I work for a film mfg and cover SoCal, both of these dealers are very well versed in safety film. Both of which have been involved in huge projects applying safety films for decades.

Regards, Tim Gordon from SolarGard/Armorcoat

Archived