dealing with employee issues

Guest NEVRL8

Guest Mr Clean

Job discriptions are great but you cant just say "anything I tell you to do". I am a Shop manager but every employee feels like they should get paid more for work and other Extra Jobs.

A tinter is a dispensable thing, but having a man on hold is great but the prob you run into with that is the "tinter" not showing the apprentice the right way or all of the important facts.

Build a relationship on job ethics and duties :thumbdown in the begining, of course it is to late for that but youve gotta start somewhere. If you hire the "new guy" call a comp. meeting and explaine it to them all. Whoever likes it likes it and who doesnt can "Walk".

Good luck :evileye

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest dodgyone

I've got my workshop set up with a mechanical bay with hoist, outside hoist over way bay, Stereo Installing/Detailing bay and the Tint bay. Makes it pretty popular for out of work hours projects.

Ay problems with attitude and the workshop key gets handed back and all after hours work is suspended.

Guest Film Critic

All shops with more than 1 person have these problems. I work at a glass shop. It is semi-segmented into Auto, Residential/Commercial, and me(Tint).

The Auto guys don't like helping the Tint guy(me), the Res/Comm guys don't help Auto or Tint. But I am expected to help both when I am slow. Bunch of BS, but what can you do??? Fire 22 people? No.

I personally like to have stuff to do. I can't stand to sit on my butt.

It might be time to test out the non-compete clause. I know here(SC) they don't stand up in court though.

IMO tell him whats on your mind, and also he,s not getting paid to sit on his ass, if he dosent step up to the plate and get his @#$% straight HIT THE ROAD JACK! Your no there to make friends but a living! :hmmm

Guest Shineshop

I have had these types of problems ever since we opened 11 years ago. I found that a good deal of the problem was with the way we were managing the employees from the get go. People will push you as far as they can to see how much they can get away with. You need to establish clear boundaries upon hiring an employee and put it in writing and have the employee sign that they understand. I also implemented a progressive discipline policy which involves one verbal warning, one written warning and then termination. This alleviates a lot of the problems you will face with employees that will be a consistant pain in the ass about everything.

Archived