Who runs the marketing program?

If the goal is to create product awareness, all that helps. If the goal is to create demand,dealer loyalty, increase market share, the ability to ask a premium for your product. Among other things. The mfr needs to promote the brand first and everything else is secondary

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If the goal is to create product awareness, all that helps. If the goal is to create demand,dealer loyalty, increase market share, the ability to ask a premium for your product. Among other things. The mfr needs to promote the brand first and everything else is secondary

I can assure you Tom that we promote product awareness in practically everything we do. But... if we are footing the bill solo than you can bet we are promoting our brand while promoting awareness. It is only reasonable... but in the last few years I think we made a shift to promoting our skills and services ahead of the brands we represent.

For instance, I ask our customers where they would like us to spend money. Most say "spend it in one on one business development." So we do, I travel out and help my customers close jobs... that got people through the down economy when residential took a dive. Ask them if we spent the money in the right place and they would all say "yes!" Should we have spent on a national or regional residential ad campaign back then?

This is something I have thought about for a number of years. The film mannys that we all buy from ( insert yours here) do very little advertising to promote the products they sell. I see plenty of adds in things like window film mag, direct mail etc. They are spending their money marketing to the people who already know who they are. Would it not be better to spend the advertising money toward creating market demand for the product before the dealer level? It's like ford or chevy advertising to the dealer to sell them cars.

To this day it amazes me how many people have no idea that you can put window film on houses and buildings. I dealt with a contractor this week that had no idea there was a product like anti- grafitti film available. We do a lot of upscale autos, so I always try to sell residential films to them. Most of them have never even thought about it. More marketing money needs to be spent on educating the public on the benifits of films. It would help all of us. Great post TOM

Guest Infiniteoptiks StL
This is something I have thought about for a number of years. The film mannys that we all buy from ( insert yours here) do very little advertising to promote the products they sell. I see plenty of adds in things like window film mag, direct mail etc. They are spending their money marketing to the people who already know who they are. Would it not be better to spend the advertising money toward creating market demand for the product before the dealer level? It's like ford or chevy advertising to the dealer to sell them cars.

To this day it amazes me how many people have no idea that you can put window film on houses and buildings. I dealt with a contractor this week that had no idea there was a product like anti- grafitti film available. We do a lot of upscale autos, so I always try to sell residential films to them. Most of them have never even thought about it. More marketing money needs to be spent on educating the public on the benifits of films. It would help all of us. Great post TOM

No disrespect intended but too many of you want your hand held. As a business owner I promote my company at my expense and not a brand. You market yourself and if don't know how to you can bet the guy down the street will figure it out first. What if the relationship sours or the manny goes belly up? I hate to say this but after 30 years I think window film is window film. After 10 to 20 years it's all gone bad regardless of brand! Some of it's a little better than others but the GC's we work for don't even care what brand it is. They just want good results for their project.

No disrespect intended but too many of you want your hand held. As a business owner I promote my company at my expense and not a brand. You market yourself and if don't know how to you can bet the guy down the street will figure it out first. What if the relationship sours or the manny goes belly up? I hate to say this but after 30 years I think window film is window film. After 10 to 20 years it's all gone bad regardless of brand! Some of it's a little better than others but the GC's we work for don't even care what brand it is. They just want good results for their project.

That is what I'm getting at. Mfrs want market share and loyalty. But they give dealers no real good reason to promote their brand. The way it is now a dealer is far better off to promote as a private label and spend the effort to brand their own name. This is exactly what the mfrs should not want. What they should strive for is to have a product that dealers will stand in line to carry because of consumer demand.

That is what I'm getting at. Mfrs want market share and loyalty. But they give dealers no real good reason to promote their brand. The way it is now a dealer is far better off to promote as a private label and spend the effort to brand their own name. This is exactly what the mfrs should not want. What they should strive for is to have a product that dealers will stand in line to carry because of consumer demand.

TomTint ain't no dummy :lol

Guest Infiniteoptiks StL

The definition of exclusive when describing manny/distributor relationship with a dealer is I'm married to you but you get to sleep with anyone you like.? That's not a relationship I'm interested. I promote myself. I know a lot of guys doing private label. That's one way to go.

I'm not even talking brands. I would like something kinda like " The Film Advisory Board " A group that promotes thr benifits of film in general. Like " The Milk Advisory Board " does. Not on that scale though. More calls. More hits for EVERYONE. Then let's see how good your local marketing takes over to get the job. I know it sounds crazy, and I don't even know how you would fund it. If you wanted to do it by brand, the mannys, distriutors, and local dealers could chip in. I'm thinking commercial and residential would benifit more from something like this. " Film. It Does A House Good "

Archived