Window Film The Most Cost Effective Solution For Energy Savings

New Report Points to Window Film as the Most Cost Effective Solution for Energy Savings and Reducing Carbon Footprint

Study Focuses on Retrofit Applications for California Homes and Buildings

WASHINGTON, March 5, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- The International Window Film Association (IWFA), a nonprofit group, announced today that a comprehensive analysis of window film found it to be the most cost-effective energy saving choice for Californians when used in retrofit applications on homes and buildings.

"Without a doubt, window film offers an enormous potential for energy savings in the California market in all retrofit remodeling applications," said Darrell Smith, executive director of the IWFA. "When widely installed the resulting reduction of peak demand on utilities and greenhouse gases will further the state's reputation as an environmental leader," he added.

California-based ConSol made the independent analysis. Their study compared installing window film on existing structures in the state to other traditional energy saving techniques such as updating HVAC systems, air sealing and caulking, and adding R-38 ceiling insulation, and found that window film came out ahead. The group used many of the same informational processes that the California Energy Commission utilizes in determining energy savings. The report can be found at http://www.iwfa.com/...vingsStudy.aspx

Full story: http://www.prnewswir...-141439463.html

Guest archer69

Kudos to the IWFA for getting the word out! The feedback our company has gotten back over the years has made us comfortable saying exactly what this report does, it's hard to beat film for the savings and payback. All of our client's experience better than predicted numbers for payback and long term savings.

Film shouldn't be looked at as the last thing to do when considering energy improvements, it should be the first!

Film shouldn't be looked at as the last thing to do when considering energy improvements, it should be the first!

Funny you should say this; years ago a client of mine was in the planning stage of building a new home and called me for input on window type. His goal was to keep the build cost down so I recommended he go with clear dual pane and a moderately effective solar control film product. He went on to compare the cost of clear IG w/film to that of high performance glazing of the time and found, hands down the film/glass combination would save him tons (in money and BTU's).

Guest archer69

Funny you should say this; years ago a client of mine was in the planning stage of building a new home and called me for input on window type. His goal was to keep the build cost down so I recommended he go with clear dual pane and a moderately effective solar control film product. He went on to compare the cost of clear IG w/film to that of high performance glazing of the time and found, hands down the film/glass combination would save him tons (in money and BTU's).

Exactly, I'm always mystified by the fascination people have with low E glass. Ok, the low e gives you a little better number in the winter time, but most of them are complete dogs when it comes to stopping heat gain. It's not much on looks, but good ol' Silver 20 on clear single or double will completely destroy low e glass in total savings, and that's not even a winter silver film. We primarily cater to commercial installations, but almost all of the residential stuff we do is trying to keep homeowners from being fried by their large, low e picture windows. Most of them can't keep the air conditioning going long enough to keep up. All of them express the same sentiment, "We should have had film put up from day one."

Archived