How to keep from scratching PPF film?

We've just recently started playing with PPF. We've tried venture shield, and SolarGard. So far the SolarGard seems like a way better product than the venture shield, but it's a little prone to scratches with a yellow squeegee. I've noticed that a lot of you guys like the SunTek film. Is it any more scratch-resistant than the SolarGard? Or do you have any tips beyond using a new squeegee?

What squeegee is used makes a lot of difference; try different types to find the one that fits your applied pressure.

Wrap the squeegee with felt or buy one ready-made.

Try teflon-coated tape wrapped over the tool edge for much improved glide across the surface. It works well with window film; to the extent you need very little slip for tool glide across the surface.

Keep the top lubed up and make sure you are not creating too much friction (moving the squeegee to fast) and you will avoid the squeegee transfer that can be nearly impossible to remove. If it is actual scrathes in the film, you can set a bucket of water nearby to dip your squeegee in if you are getting a lot of grit on the blade.

There are a few brands of film that are more scratch resistant, but they are typically a little higher priced than the brands you mentioned. It all depends in what you are looking for in a film.

I have you solargaurd for about 4 years now. The two things I can't live without when using solargaurd is a black rubber squeegie and a steamer. I know this sounds weird but if you do get a scratch in your clearshield spray some wd-40 and rub it in.....no more scratch.

I have you solargaurd for about 4 years now. The two things I can't live without when using solargaurd is a black rubber squeegie and a steamer. I know this sounds weird but if you do get a scratch in your clearshield spray some wd-40 and rub it in.....no more scratch.

WD-40 is largely composed of Naptha, which is known to dry out urethane and cause it to turn yellow over time. One application probably won't kill you, but I'd find something with a lower petroleum content to avoid any troubles down the road.

Archived