Preventing felt contamination

If its not a new vehicle, you should still clean the channel after taping it up. That felt doesn't last forever staying on the gasket. Ever done a fox body mustang recently? Some felt is still there, but most is gone. Tape, then douche.

Oh I still always hose er down after I tape it regarless of age. I do like the green 3m and after you apply film and do a little tack down its almost nothing to have the tape release and leave nothing behind. I think I was just trying to get to too far back into side gaskets beyond my tape and hence a little contamination. Almost didnt need to go so far back since the inner rubber seals set inside further if that makes sense. Kinda went rubber then felt if looking inside out. Typical seals sit in further on the inside of window than outside seals. Think of it like most GM cars. Hate some of that style the OEMs do. Fatten then outside seals! lol

There is ways to install tint and not tape the felt on the sides and get clean work. It's just a matter of taking extra steps with panel removals and cleaning. The way you get the film on can make a huge difference. Try tinting the doors on a Volvo c30 with and without tape. The extra thickness makes it damn near impossible. Especially with some 1mil films

Guest naughtydog

I tape off all felts, headliners and trims around fixed rear quarters just to be on the safe side and 3m tape has pretty good adhesion.

The blue painters tape works for most felt, but if I won't stick or for real tight gaskets, like on mercedes, I use 2" clear packing tape.

Does the clear box tape work without leaving a bunch a glue left behind when you remove the tape?

I've always used duck tape for slick felt gaskets, but sometimes it will leave behind glue from the tape.

When I apply this tape, I only press it down where the felt is and press down in a couple of spots on the molding itself. I've only seen a couple spots of adhesive and thats from pressing it down all over.

The blue painters tape works for most felt, but if I won't stick or for real tight gaskets, like on mercedes, I use 2" clear packing tape.

Does the clear box tape work without leaving a bunch a glue left behind when you remove the tape?

I've always used duck tape for slick felt gaskets, but sometimes it will leave behind glue from the tape.

When I apply this tape, I only press it down where the felt is and press down in a couple of spots on the molding itself. I've only seen a couple spots of adhesive and thats from pressing it down all over.

Oh yea, get the cheap tape...not only is it cheaper, its thinner.

Archived