Hair in window tint...

Guest 91TwighlightGT

there is one thing you can do, but with all respect I am not sure if amateur can do it,

"some" kind of hairs and other textile things can be heated and just made less visible with "lil chizler" squeegee. if natural color of that hair or whatever it is is dark, what is making it visible is air around it, as it dont let film lay on glass properly, so you basically heat up that area with heat gun and then press those little air channels around a hair with chizler, this way you force film to stick on glass so it will go dark and you make hair to be "heated in" film.

this way you can minimize its appearance, but you'll never make it invisible, it just won't be spotted on 1st sight,

problem is if you heat it less, you won't stick film and won't push hair into film, if you heat too much, you will burn hair and it will go white and you make it super visible:)

if you can live with it, live with it, if you decide to redo, try the thing above, even if you burn it, it's still experience :)

Good luck

P.S.: sorry for crappy english, lack of vocabulary sometimes makes things hard to explain exactly

Awesome, thanks for the advice. Any idea where I should buy that "lil chizler" squeegee?

I'm teaching a auto tinting class next week in STL (Olivette) :quote

come by and I will give you one :beer

1235 n price road I think is the addy... 9 to 5 Monday thru Friday.

drop me a PMessage from the site here and we can set up directions.

Cheers

Stan :prof

Guest 91TwighlightGT

I would redo it again. The window is out of the car so this should be much easier to clean and work with. Think of it as practice. Good luck :)

Regards, HaX420

I looked at it again when I got home. Truth be told, the picture makes it seem worse than it really is, and some heat and pressing minimized it a little bit. This car is going to be a daily driver, so I can live with it. But, as stated above, the biggest reason why I don't want to redo is the condition of the glass itself. It is badly scratched, and the tint is highlighting that quite a bit. If I replace the glass at some point, I think I could do a little better job.

I've gotten decent at doing the stuff off the car, though. If I were to get serious about it, I would need a more powerful heat gun and a better selection of hard cards, as well as a good sprayer. Doing the work inside seemed like the thing to do, but I actually think it really wasn't as contaminate and dust free as I would have liked. We have cats and dogs, so I am sure there is more hair and dust floating around than can easily be seen.

I used Northern Tint, and it seemed like it was decent quality. It was certainly different than the Gila crap that I had practiced with. My main issues were probably due to my technique more than anything. I seem to struggle with getting the edges to lay flat and stay down. On the Gila stuff I had to be really careful not to shrink the edges or it would shrivel the tint and wouldn't want to lay flat at all, but I found that I could be a little more aggressive with this, and do more to eliminate the little fingers that would pop up after knocking out a big one.

The 79-93 Mustang Hatch glass is pretty flat, so I didn't think it was too challenging to get shrink it down. I'd be interested to try a difficult glass, like a 4th Gen Firebird, to see what that is like.

Thanks for all the help and advice, the amount of knowledge on this forum is pretty incredible.