02 Trans Am back glass

tntautoglass

I have my first Trans Am back glass on Monday. I will be doing an R&R just on the back glass because the Dot Matrix looks bad. I have a few questions.

Do any of you see a problem with applying Dotrix on the back glass?

I know there is a lot of info on how to shrink the back glass but sometimes it's too much info. I dry-shrink with bounce dryer sheets.

Can you please explain the best way to shrink?

Thanks.

if the film looks new and all the custy is complaining about is the dotts. You might want to pass on the job. If its old crusty tint strip it and sand the dotts real well before installing the new film. :cool

The film was installed in 2005 and you can tell. The film is starting to separate from the glass on the back. Do I have to sand the dots even if I'm using dotrix vinyl? What about shrink anchoring pattern?

Guest VaTinterPMan
:ditto If the film is fine and the Dot matrix is the only bothering him cut off the strip and Sand the hell out of it and Add vinyl or another strip of film. Easy Fix. But if he wants it darker or lighter % wise still sand the hell out of it and add glue with it.

Guest VaTinterPMan

if the film looks new and all the custy is complaining about is the dotts. You might want to pass on the job. If its old crusty tint strip it and sand the dotts real well before installing the new film. :cool

The film was installed in 2005 and you can tell. The film is starting to separate from the glass on the back. Do I have to sand the dots even if I'm using dotrix vinyl? What about shrink anchoring pattern?

Your Anchor line should be high...about a foot in half from the top.Also yeah I would sand the dots just to make sure there is no glue or anything hiding between the dots..But I would use glue not vinyl. or the Dotrix. Also some people don't anchor it in the middle just the sides and shrink it out. I have never done it this way though.

the glass is a totally different shrink. It has the "dove tail" which will create a "pocket" if you lay it out right. Hit that pocket with some heat and it will lay down. the only other shrink is a few small fingers on the top of it......

Use the dryer sheet if that is what you use., then lay the film out, wet the sides out about 8 inches to anchor the sides, heat the pocket, lift film and wet the glass, finish it out.....

Archived