Tint Slime is a go!

How long does a batch last if it sits around once made ? I ask this because now that it's the slower season here , I'll make up a batch for both shops but may not work at the one shop for a while .

Also,would one of those pump dispensers that you get for Dirt Off (the larger pump) or film on ( the smaller pump) work for dispensing the proper amount?

Edited by TintWizard

TW, I used a bottle over the weekend that I had mixed about 2-2.5 weeks ago. That's the longest I've gone yet letting a batch sit around. Worked fine, just like I had just mixed it up. One "problem" I did notice was the thick consistency of the slime. Not really a problem for me other than it takes quite a bit of shaking the bottle to get it all mixed. First couple bottles I mixed, I'd notice an hour or two later that there was a big glob of slime down at the bottom of the bottle. Now I just don't fill them all the way at first so I can shake the hell out of it. But it sounds like guardian already took care of this. :thumb

we have had our recent batch in our 5 gallon sprayer for 3 weeks, we shake the hell out of it when we make it, we tinted a mustang and a truck on Friday of last week with no issues. Won't hurt anything to shake it up, but if you have it shaken up the first time enough won't need it :)

We generally make smaller batches in the winter, just because it is so cold and less customers, but there shouldn't be an issues making a larger batch, just if your shop freezes you might want to shake it up...

I've only done 1 car with it and still want to play with the ratio a bit , but I'm thinking I'm liking the tint slime :thumb

The thing I noticed with it is I seem to get more solution out with it.

I also tried an experiment and deliberately made a small crease to work out with a chizzler and I didn't need to hear it up first because I got so much solution out. Might be a coincidence . Either way I'll have a better idea after a few more cars .( it was an 02 Jetta using ATR ch :DD )

The thing I noticed with it is I seem to get more solution out with it.

Don't want to be a buzz kill for something of this nature, but the reason you are seeing more evacuation of moisture is because of the glycerin content (which the % contained need be determined because Baby shampoo also contains this chemical). This info is found on the SDS (safety data sheet of any chemical product). Comparing slime to FilmOn, you would see this moves more water phenomenon occur; compared with Baby Shampoo and you will notice little difference (once you found the right mix ratio to mimic BShampoo).

Glyscerin has a hydrophilic/hydrogropic nature to it and once one the glass, it doesn't go away when the rest of your slip evaporates through the film. If those two fifty cent words look foreign, they are to most people outside a chemistry degree (I had to look them up). The terms mean that glyscerin has an affinity toward water; it will continuously attract moisture to it.

So, what's that mean for film adhesive longevity, not much different than using dish soap or baby shampoo (dependent upon % of glycerin in product and mix ratio used with water to produce a slip solution); however, for those in climates that suffer from high humidity, well, it has the potential to be buzz kill, because PS adhesives tend not fare well when saturated in moisture.

Edited by smartie2shoes