commercial glass

yea I'm guessing all is 1/4" plate, no tempered or laminated stamps anywhere. Half the glass for solar film is facing north the rest east, I called suntek they will cover all of these panes under 40 sf. so in this case they will cover ALL except one pane in which is 66sqft. All the glass for black out is facing north :woot2 . I got the customer to sign a waiver of liability stating we can't be held liable for any glass breakage where blackout is installed and also on the 66sf pane for solar film. We'll be starting tomorrow morning! Thanks everyone and maybe I'll post some pics.

Sounds like you covered your azz. :thumb

Now the worst part is going to be getting it clean.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have been in glazing since 95 and have never seen a piece of lami over 60x96. My bet is that it is plate. I have also never saw a piece of film break a single pane 1/4" plate blackout or whatever. Double pane is a different story due to the greenhouse effect. Go get a scrap of plate from a glass company and heat it up nice and even with your heat gun an witness how much heat it will take to break it. heated evenly it does not break.

Ooooioh, S2S. I have broken several large pieces of large plate over the years. With film that is in the 40%sa area to boot.

What part of the country are you in tom? are you using reflective? I have film out all over this area and have never broken anything.

We are in Boston, Mass. Over the years we have had breakage with neutral 50 ish films, silvers, bronze, plenty of black out, just about everything. For the obvious reasons, our breakage is most often Nov- April. In a good many of the cases where I was present at the removal of a broken piece, it had a clam at the point of origin. Plate glass gets beat up with wind deflection, bowing, settling, even the glazers cutting and slamming it around before and during instillation. They can install a piece of clipped glass and until the tinted shows up, it prolly won't break.

I have also never saw a piece of film break a single pane 1/4" plate blackout or whatever. heat it up nice and even with your heat gun an witness how much heat it will take to break it. heated evenly it does not break.

Now get another piece and store it in the fridge overnight. Take it out. Cover part of it (third, half whatever). Now take that heat gun to it and see how much heat it can take.

This simulates a cold night followed by a sunny morning, with a shaded line from the roof, awning, tree

etc.

Like Tom said, mostly in winter months. Not as big a deal for me down here, but it still

gets cold once in a while.

I have also never saw a piece of film break a single pane 1/4" plate blackout or whatever. heat it up nice and even with your heat gun an witness how much heat it will take to break it. heated evenly it does not break.

Now get another piece and store it in the fridge overnight. Take it out. Cover part of it (third, half whatever). Now take that heat gun to it and see how much heat it can take.

This simulates a cold night followed by a sunny morning, with a shaded line from the roof, awning, tree

etc.

Like Tom said, mostly in winter months. Not as big a deal for me down here, but it still

gets cold once in a while.

I do not doubt you I just have not experienced the issue. Maybe it does not get cold enough here. I have done many large plates with limo in bars and such. No prob. From my glazing experience I find that windows broken without getting struck by something usually have a chip or something down behind the stops.

I have been in glazing since 95 and have never seen a piece of lami over 60x96. My bet is that it is plate. I have also never saw a piece of film break a single pane 1/4" plate blackout or whatever. Double pane is a different story due to the greenhouse effect. Go get a scrap of plate from a glass company and heat it up nice and even with your heat gun an witness how much heat it will take to break it. heated evenly it does not break.

Better hope it's not ever a freezing cold morning then a sunny day where you live.

Last spring we did a piece of 68x110 (or there about) with black out. I told the guy no less than 10 times is was a bad idea. We filmed it, they closed in a wall behind it and built shelves and a kitchen against it. A month or so later it broke and was inside set.

Better hope it's not ever a freezing cold morning then a sunny day where you live.

if I where making the decisions I would be much more careful. Im just a peeon for now.

Archived