commercial glass

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

might be able to sell some gray frost, bronze frost, or white out if they want to block vision. I would get an iron clad "no breakage" on that blackout if that is all you can do. I doubt any manny would allow a warranty on a sun-exposed blackout installation.

As for the safety of the glass. That 1/4 is a lot stronger than you would ever imagine. I know most older buildings around here are nothing but 1/4 plate. The will crack and can be cracked up pretty good but still be in the frame and pretty safe. The building safety standards changed years ago, but these buildings are 50 to 100 years or more old.....

Tom I've never had single pane glass break...is it because of the size, glass type or gasket or all of the above? Any other way to tell if there laminated other than tapping?

My concern would be the existing condition of be edges of the glass. Glass that old( and that big ) tend to have clams on the edges. This is where I would expect a problem. I would not warranty any of it. I believe ST warranty covers up to 40 SF and up to a certain dollar amount. A piece of new tempered or laminated, installed and re tinted. Will be more than the warranty amount covers.

Are the windows west facing.....?

Looks in the pics that there is only a rubber gasket on the outside and none on the inside...........?

I would bet that the glass is annealed plate glass, is there any glass tags on them.............?

What is the reason they are wanting a black film ...........?

If it's laminated it is to have a stamp indicating so; just like tempered.

Doesn't matter because Black Out will break it installed inside; outside install is a crap shoot. Aborption rate 89-90%.

And you're dealing with old plate glass.

No grass brwake warranty 4 u, you go home now!

Get yourself a glass thickness/ glass type meter, it really takes the guess work out of your installs and potentially saves you a lot of dollars in the long run.

Hard to imagine you will have any problems with SYDS35 at only a 43% absorbance unless the edges are really hacked up.

On every quote I do I have a clause about faulty glass and edges.

I try and avoid blackout on anything except toughened/tempered.

yea I'm guessing all is 1/4" plate, no tempered or laminated stamps anywhere. Half the glass for solar film is facing north the rest east, I called suntek they will cover all of these panes under 40 sf. so in this case they will cover ALL except one pane in which is 66sqft. All the glass for black out is facing north :woot2 . I got the customer to sign a waiver of liability stating we can't be held liable for any glass breakage where blackout is installed and also on the 66sf pane for solar film. We'll be starting tomorrow morning! Thanks everyone and maybe I'll post some pics.

If it's laminated it is to have a stamp indicating so; just like tempered.

Doesn't matter because Black Out will break it installed inside; outside install is a crap shoot. Aborption rate 89-90%.

And you're dealing with old plate glass.

No grass brwake warranty 4 u, you go home now!

laminated would have a stamp, but only one on the sheet. Could be cut out of that sheet and the stamp not be on the window....

Archived