Need Help Cutting Tint.....

Guest Brown23

Guest Brown23

Newbie here and I just received my US cutter. I have been testing around and it seems that I can cut and weed the supplied vinyl with no problem. I bought it to cut Tint, so when I loaded it up it is when I had my problems. For those of you that cut Tint, please provide some ideas or suggestions on what could be wrong and how to fix it.

1. When the tint is fed back and forth, it starts to bunch up and eventually tear. I presumed this is because the tint is so much thinner. My temporary fix was to lay the tint ON TOP of a sheet of vinyl. This gives it some stability, but its not perfect and doesnt seem this is the proper way to do this.... The roller tension screws are fully loosened, and it still grips very tight, even leaving impressions in the tint....

2. It seems cuts far away from eah other are more liklely to cut successfully, for example a window outline. However when I am cutting a design or graphic, the close cuts start ripping the tint and ruining the entire run..... What can be done? Is this because the blade is too deep?

3. When you weed the tint, does it need to be applied to a "work space" so the non-weeding parts dont come up?

4. Im also having trouble getting the blade depth correct because tint is so thin. How important is the force? Any recs?

Does this boil down to the tint itself? Does only tint of a certain thickness work with cutters? Thanks to All who help.

It's not my strong point to deal with the tech end of plotters but from what I gather from your post right off the bat, you need a different blade , angle and setting configuration for tint than with vinyl . I'm sure members with more exp with tech can elaborate on this :DD

we use the 45 degree, someone suggested we use the carbite 60 degree, but I just use the 45 because we cut vinyl on our cutter as well. What type of film are you using? You will have to adjust force, depth. And we have the best results not over cutting our film. As much as you might want to have every inch used, I'd just start with quarters till you get your depth, force where you are comfortable. Your speed might be too fast as well. We are 20ips.

I use a 25* for tint and 60* for vinyl. I think the blade angle had more to do with complexity than material. Slower speeds on the more complex stuff too. You should be able to set to cut on pull only, that might help out the bunching up. Force and depth will be comparable to vinyl, just need proper blade. Remember, you are only cutting through the tint, not the tint and liner.

some plotters have more than two rollers you will want to use the outside rollers and if there is a third keep it in the middle and make sure that its loose or not engaged.. was just a quick thought? blade will have to adjustments a mechanical and digital, depending what one is set at it will change the other. degree of blade is important like mentioned also cut speed and offset set speed are very important.. some times the slower I have mine set at the worse these problems are.

Archived